confliction

"Why did you do that?" Keefe demanded as soon as Fitz left his house, wheeling on Ro who hadn't even lifted her head to stop painting her nails.  "You know I can't work up the guts to tell her- and when Fitz wins, he can just dare me to tell her anyways."

"You'd be unmatchable for her," Ro said, still not looking up.  "Pretty Boy wouldn't.  Besides, if you want to avoid being dared into it, just tell her first. You have to stop letting Fitz win."

"I'm not letting Fitz win," Keefe snapped, sinking onto his bed, even though they both knew it was true. "I'm just... doing what's best for Sophie."

Ro looked at him for the first time, amusement showing in her eyes.  "See, and I thought Blonde was the only oblivious person here- obviously none of you elves can take a hint."

Then she went and excused herself to dry her nails.

___________

"That Boy's here," Grady grumbled, peeking his head inside Sophie's bedroom.  Sophie looked up from her Imparter. She'd been talking with Amy about the Elite Levels.

As soon as Grady left, Amy looked at her curiously.  "Keefe?  The guy with the cool hair?"

If Keefe had been there, he would've given Amy all of his money.  Sophie sighed.

"Yeah.  Can I take it?"

Amy laughed. "Sure- but make sure to hail me about all the details."

"There won't be any," Sophie mumbled, her face flushed as she closed her Imparter, slid of the bed, and hurried over to the door.

Keefe was standing in the doorway, looking fidgety and nervous.  He wore his usual embroidered jerkin, his hair tousled in a way that looked like he'd just rolled out of bed- but that also made it look more stylish. Ro was watching him with half a smile, looking at him so mischievously, Sophie resisted the urge to kick them both out.

"Hey you," she offered, after several endless seconds.

Keefe looked up, his eyes filled with surprise.  "Hey Foster," he said, his smile looking a little bit more halfhearted than usual.

"So... what made you come over here?"  Sophie asked.

"Just to talk," Keefe said. Ro cleared her throat behind him, and Keefe seemed to get some of his spunk back.

"It's because I know you need me in your life Foster!  I know you'd die if you failed to see my face, so I thought I'd save you the trouble."  He winked, and a giggle slipped out of Sophie's mouth.

She grabbed his hand and....

"Sophie?"  someone said from the doorway.

___________

Keefe thought everything was going okay- except for the fact that he might've been staring just a little bit towards the beginning.

And then she grabbed his hand and Keefe felt like he might be able to pull it off and tell her but then somebody called her name from behind....

It looked like he wasn't the only one with the idea to come over to Havenfield.

"Hiya Fitzey," Keefe said with zero enthusiasm.