interrogation

"We need to talk," Grady demanded as Sophie hurried downstairs to the Leapmaster 500.

"About what?"  Sophie asked.... and then recognized the way he was staring at her.  "I thought mom told you not to pick on Keefe anymore.  I love him, he loves me, we're happy together.  It's just that simple."

"But... it's.... Keefe!" Grady told her.  "He's just this cocky guy with hair and whatever!"

"No he's not!" Sophie said hotly- only feeling slightly bad for yelling at him.  "He's just... just someone you've never had the courage to acknowledge."

"I do!" Grady grumbled.  "But... He's just not right for you."

"Only I get to decide who's right for me," Sophie told him darkly.  "And I choose Keefe whether you like it or not."

_______________

"Keefe!" Sophie called, feeling relieved as she tripped up the porch stairs and sank into Keefe's arms.  He looked at her smiling, tearing a hand through his hair as he helped her sit up next to him.

"What's up?"

Sophie saw the way he was admiring her, twirling a finger through her hair and blushed.  "It's... Grady."

"Makes sense," Keefe mused, continuing to braid the strands of hair closest to her shoulder and looking a lot less upset than she felt. "He's never liked me- and you know why."

"Your mom's organization killed his daughter," Sophie mumbled, feeling terrible all over again.  "Even though she's dead."

"That's not just it," Keefe said, his expression solemn.  "Listen closely. It's a secret I've never told you before, it's why Grady holds such a grudge against me..."

Sophie sniffled and leaned her head into his shoulder, allowing him to face her and whisper something into her ear,

"It's because," Keefe said quietly. "He knows he'll never have as awesome hair as I do! Look at this! Look at the styling! And the color! And the vibe it gives off!"

He sat up straighter and struck a pose.  The remark was so random that Sophie burst out with a snort-laugh that made Keefe smile.

"There's the laugh I've been waiting for, Foster," Keefe told her.  "I don't care if I'm unmatchable for you, I love you so much Sophie Foster. I'd give anything for you."

Sophie wiped away her tears that she didn't realized she'd been holding in and laced her fingertips through his.

"Me too, Keefe. Me too."

____________

"I can't believe myself!" Fitz told his reflection, kicking the edge of his bed and wincing as pain spiked up his foot. "I'm such an idiot, saying no to such a beautiful girl, running off to my best friend.. probably not even my best friend any more..."

He kicked his bed again before deflating back onto his bed, wondering if he could bury himself with pillows...

"Keefe's still your best friend," Biana said helpfully, shimmering into thin air and nearly scaring Fitz until he tumbled off the bed. 

"What are you doing here?" Fitz scowled, flushing with humiliation.

"Apologizing," Biana said simply.  "Sorry my talk yesterday wasn't too.. encouraging.  But I'm sure you'll find someone else," she added cheerfully.

"You don't get it!" Fitz spat at her, trying to keep his emotions in check.  "I don't want another girl, I want Sophie Foster and I can't have her and.."

Biana stared at him, and stared and stared and stared and...

"Can I set you up a blind date?" she asked, looking surprisingly genuine despite the embarrasing topic.

"I don't need your help finding a girlfriend, I have plenty of-"

"Admirers," Biana told him. "Not someone who actually likes you. Trust me Fitz."

He looked at her and then buried his face in his hands.

"I'm letting my sister set up a blind date for me," he murmured, loud enough so that Biana let out a delighted squeal and raced out of his room. He checked to see if anyone else was looking before adding to himself,

"This is going to be the worst decision of my life."

Probably will be, Fitz! But hey, go Biana! Get your brother (who's hopeless, btw) a love life! *sigh* Sometimes I wish I could set up my brother a blind date...

XD