Chapter Twenty-Three

"And he's going for a long shot, can the newbie do this or will he miss," Luke cries loudly from the stands.
"He can do it, Hunter's pretty good out there," Mitch says watching him.
"Take your time buddy," I hear Ethan yell. I turn and shush them all, he would never kick it if they kept talking. As I turn back to watch Hunter, he sends me a grateful smile, I nod my head. I watch as Hunter takes a breathe, then he runs a few paces, drops the ball and kicks it. The red and white ball becomes a blur to the human eye as it sails through the air with speed.
"Is it gonna make it?" asks Evan loudly. The guys all jump up off the stand and run over to me.
"If he makes this, I owe him twenty bucks," moans Luke. I laugh.
"You were betting?" I ask him, he nods his head.
"I thought he wouldn't be able to do it, at least not first up," he says glancing at the ball.
"SCORE!" cries our coach at the bottom of the field near the posts. Hunter turns around and laughs as the guys surround him.
"Well done dude," Ethan says.
"You rocked it," Luke admits before passing over the twenty sadly.
"Thank you," Hunter says smiling as he pockets the money.
"Well done boys, well done," Coach says coming to stand in front of us. "I'm so proud of all of yous, for not giving up and putting your best into training. I'd also like to thank Hayden," he says smiling at me. "For being smart and thinking of Hunter to fill in for Walker." I look down at the ground, you shouldn't be thanking me coach. You should be disappointed in me for causing this, I think to myself.
"Hunter, god boy you'll get so far here if you decide to join us next year," Coach continutes, smiling at Hunter. "You've all been pushing yourself hard the past few months and just know that I'm proud of you's. We stand a very good chance against Damian and his team on Wednesday, you guys should be proud of yourselfs. The rest of the day is for you's to do whatever you'd like and tomorrow as well, our last training session is Wednesday morning, before the game in the afternoon. Have a good afternoon boys," he says dismissing us all.
"What are your plans for the mini holiday boys?" I ask them as we walk to the showers.
"I'm planning to spend it with Quinn," Walker admits smiling.
"Ethan and I are throwing a party and he's inviting that chick from the pizza place," Evan says annoying his twin.
"F*ck off Evan," Ethan says, hating when his twin teases him all the time.
"He even says that he thinks that he might ask her out," Evan continues. We all laugh as Ethan chases after his retreating twin and into the showers they disappeared.
"What about you Mitch?" Hunter asks Mitch who was glancing at the ground, quiet.
"Oh I don't know, I might call into my sister, spend a few days with her," he says quietly.
"Well I'm heading back home, see my girlfriend and family," Hunter says grinning. "What about you Hayden?" he asks me.
"I need to visit my dad, so you don't mind if I join you?" I ask him, he laughs.
"I was gonna ask if you wouldn't mind giving me a lift," he says.
"A five hour lift?" Hunter nods his head and we both burst out laughing.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Hunter and I made it back home around 9pm, we had stopped for lunch earlier.
"Should you knock or...?" I ask him, but the door flies open and Destiny jumps into Hunter's arms.
"Oh my goodness, I've missed you so much," Destiny says a little breathless.
"It was only like two weeks princess," Hunter says laughing as he kisses her.
"What you don't miss me?" I say loudly, Destiny blinks finally noticing me.
"Hayden!" she cries now hugging me tightly. I laugh as I hug her back.
"Did someone say Hayden?" asks a tired voice at the door. I look up to see Felix, his eyes half open, half closed. I guess someone had been sleeping, he looks up at me.
"Hey buddy," I say opening my arms, he grins as he runs into my arms.
"I missed you heaps,"he says softly tightening his grip on me. I laugh as I stand up straight again, with him still in my arms.
"You're getting bigger," I tell him, grinning down at him.
"Well I am eleven now," he answers cheekily, poking his tonuge out at me. "And I wanna grow up just like you," he says quietly. I look down, I smile as I see him snuggle into me, he was asleep again.
"He really did miss you darling," I look up to see mum standing in the doorway smiling at her two sons. Dad was behind her also smiling, I notice that Destiny and Hunter must have went inside earlier.
"Yeah, he's been sleeping in your room," dad says laughing quietly as to not wake Felix up.
"How about you put him to bed and I'll make us some drinks and you some dinner," mum says walking back inside.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
"So the match is this Wednesday?" dad asks as I take a sip of my drink. I nod my head.
"We'll all be there baby," mum says kissing my cheek as she places a plate down in front of me. Yum! left over roast and veggies.
"How old were you's when you guys got married?" I ask them quickly before I lost my courage.
"I was eighteen, your father was nineteen. Why you ask honey?" mum says as dad gets up and walks out the room silently.
"Oh no reason," I say digging into my meal.
"Do you think Dani's the one?" she asks me, I nod my head. "But you guys aren't exactly talking at the moment," mum says worriedly.
"And you've both been through so much," dad adds, returning to the room.
"But I love her and I want to marry her mum, dad. I know that she still loves me too, and I know she's upset about me forgetting her but..." I trail off glancing down at my hands.
"Aw young love," mum says smiling as she kisses my dads forehead. "I'll let you two boys talk, I'm going upstairs to check on everyone," she informs us.
"It's a big commitment son, and it'll get in the way of your career," he warns me. I nod my head, knowing all that.
"I know," I say softly.
"Here, take it but think about it first," dad says passing me a white box. "It was my mother's, then it was your mother but she had to get a new one becasue she was allergic to it. But now it's yours son, take good care of it," he says smiling.
"Thanks dad," I say getting up and hugging him, he hugs me and pats my back. "I have to go and see someone, but I'll be home soon," I tell him as I pick up my keys. I had a feeling she woud be home for the mini holiday, I hope I was right. Soon enough, I came to a stop in front of her parent's house. The little white house was lit up with all types of bright, colorful christmas lights. I notice that her parent's car wasnt in the driveway, I guess they had gone out. I park the car and get out, throwing my jacket on. It hadn't snowed yet but I knew it would, it always did before Christmas. From where I was standing, I could see that her light was on in her room. I quickly make my way up to the front door, it was awfully cold tonight. I lift my hand up, staring at the door. I mentally shake myself, I lift my hand up and after taking a deep breathe, I knock. As I wait, I quickly stuff my hands in my pockets, the breeze wasn't nice in this freezy weather. I lean my back on the wall, trying to stay warm while I waited. Finally I see something on the other side of the glass door. I stand up straight as the door opens and a head peaks out through the small gap.
"Hayden?" I know that voice, I smile as I see her familiar dark hair and her big brown eyes. She was shocked, I missed her so much.
"I remember you Danielle White, I remember everything about you and us," I tell her. The door opens up wider, and she steeps out. I notice that she's only wearing a thin pair of pajama's, she must be freezy out here. She stops in front of me, looking up at me, her eyes big. I lift my head up and softly stroke her cheek, she nuzzles into my hand. Then she starts crying softly, I pull her into my embrace, wrapping my arms around her and kissing her forehead.
"I'm so sorry," she says softly, tightening her hold on me. "I shouldn't have left you, I should've stayed and helped you.. but I was weak, I'm not strong," she continues to say.
"Shh it's alright firefly," I tell her, I gently pick her up as I take us inside, closing the door behind us. She snuggles into me, still sobbing quietly. I walk into the lounge room, placing her down on the couch as I light the fire to warm us up.
"I'm c-c-cold," Dani says quietly, shivering. I quickly grab the blanket off the other seat and put it around her, warming her up. I sit down on the other side of the couch, watching the fire flicker. Dani wiggles over so that she's resting her head on my leg, and then tucking her body, kinda cuddling into me. I lean over and pull the blanket back over her body, I place a soft kiss on her forehead as I watch her fall asleep.
"I really love you Hayden," she says softly, glancing up at me, her eyes heavy.
"I really love you too firefly, I really do," I tell her. She smiles as she snuggles back beside me, and soon she's fast asleep. I glance outside the window to see that the first bit of snow was finally falling, it was a little strange being late. It usual started to snow around the first week of December but here it was the 22nd. I smiled down at my firefly, and soon I was fast asleep with her.
* * *
Here's chapter twenty-three guys :D the next chapter's going to be in Dani's POV I think. Anyway, what do you guys think of this chapter? what about the surprise in the chapter? Marriage plans perhaps? Next chapter will be most likely posted tomorrow, so look forward to that guys =) comment and vote and I'll be back soon =]
~ I can't lose you. Because if I ever did, I'd have lost my best friend, my soul mate, my smile, my life, my everything. 💖 ~
Amy xxx