19.

Song: Yeah, no - Elle Winter

........................................

Hailey

"I don't get it."

I sighed at Vickie when she again refused to accept what I was saying. "We got this deal so we could kiss and it won't mean more than it."

"And you're okay with it?"

My stomach curled, but I looked back at her from my notebook I was holding on my knees and lifted one brow. "And why wouldn't I be?"

"Oh, I don't know. Maybe because you've been chasing after Justin since forever and now it totally looks like Nate is your rebound."

My hands clenched almost crumbling the paper, but I forced myself to relax before she noticed.

"I don't know what you're talking about." it came harder than I intent and she noticed judging by her frown, but I didn't give her time to lecture me some more. For a second the cold breeze curled around us in the silence of the backyard and I knew she was judging my snap, probably taking the wrong conclusions. In a second I'd closed my notebook and was on my feet, "I'll see you tomorrow."

"Oh, I..." just as the bell rang over our heads. Just in time. "Okay, bye then?"

I forced a smile her way, even though I wasn't feeling the best after her last remark and waved goodbye; heading out the backyard where we were spending the spare period since the teacher  call in sick. Now she has the Literature Club and I had to go pick up the twins. Stomping harder than I should and mad, even though I shouldn't.

So what if Nate was my rebound? He made me forget about Justin in a way I couldn't describe, but not only that. His touch set my body on fire and turn my mind in a fluffy mush. It was like hormones through my whole teenage years had compact and decided to attack every time he was near me. I couldn't help it. And let's be honest, he was damn handsome so it kinda only added to it.

I stepped out the building not really looking where I was going as I put my belonging in my backpack and that caused me to almost bumped into someone.

"Oh shit," I barely managed to jump aside and finally pulled the zip with a nervous giggle. "I'm so sorry. I wasn't looking and- oh." my sentence was interrupted when I looked up to those blue eyes I'd been avoiding for almost two weeks now.

Talking about the devil...

"Well, hi." Justin grinned nervously and brought one hand to scratch the back of his head. The innocent hint in his expression spiked my anger. "So, how are you?"

"Fine." and went to sidestep him, but he stopped me.

"Hey, wait. If this is about Halloween..." I tensed, not having expected him to bring it up at all. "Look, I know I was an idiot, but she was having a hard time home, and I couldn't break up then. It wouldn't have been right and I thought-"