23.

Song: Two pieces - Demi Lovato

........................................

Hailey

My leg kept bouncing up and down the more the seconds stretched. Logan by my side, gave me pointed -annoyed- looks, but I rolled my eyes and ignored it. Mrs Glennson took her time passing the pages of our last article, her lips pursed as we wait for her verdict.

I felt a light tap on my feet, but in my state it made me jump. Bewildered, I gave Logan a glare and he gestured me to stop the mad bouncing. As if it was that easy! We've been called here for a reason, and judging by the scowl on her face it wasn't a good one.

"Well," she cleared her throat finally, snapping both our attention back to her. "I gotta say I'm disappointed."

Just like that my chest deflated. If there was anything I was spotless at, that was writting. I'd been on the Daily ever since I was allowed to and never once I'd been disappointing. That hurt. Her eyes lifted from this week's article we'd released this Monday an was due to be printed in this Friday's edition.

"Putting you two together was a bold decision, but you got this something... your works had been nothing bur brilliant since I paired you. Could you please explain this?" she slid the stapled pages across her desk 'till it rested before us, mocking us with the red marks written all over it. "Chaotic, directionless... I even found spelling errors a freshman could easily point out." the more she talked the smaller I felt, my pride crushing at my feet like glass. And for the cry-puppy look of Logan I could tell he felt the same. Her brows lifted. "Care to explain how on earth this happen?"

Logan and I shared a look. My chest constricted painfully in anxiety, knowing who was the culprit of this major failure. I wetted my lips, my hands shaking.

"This is on me." her eyes focused solely on me and my small confidence erased all the more. "I-I'm so sorry, Mrs. I swear I thought I had looked it over properly. I know this is inexcusable and I'll take all the blame for it."

Please don't kick me out the Dayly. Please don't...

But she surprised me with a sigh, leaning back against her chair and massaging her temples. Logan and I shared another look, confused at her not having immediately removed me from my current position for such a mess.

"Miss Grace..." she shook her head. "This is, indeed, inexcusable. For a senior. For a former member of the Daily."

"I know." I lowered my head in shame, my voice a murmur.

"I know you're not having the... best week so far," I tensed that -once more- the teacher body knew about our family dramas. And that she was bringing it up in front of Logan! "And I don't mean to sound insensitive, but you can't let it interfere with your student work."