40.

Song: I will never let you down - Rita Ora

........................................

Hailey

I was jolted awake by a sudden sharp sound, blinking the light as I grew aware of my surroundings and the way my pillow was stirring as well... What?

My eyes snapped open, taking in the dim barn, the TV still on on the other side of the coffee table and Nate sleepy form under mine on the couch. I felt a dazed smile tugging my lips as I instinctively cuddled closer. I couldn't remember falling sleep; but I was laying over him, our legs intertwined and the bare heated skin of his chest against mine along with the thick blanket over my back was the only protection against the sudden wave of cold air from the opened door...

Hold on.

Opened door?

"I fucking knew it."

And just like that all my sleepiness vanished. My wide gaze snapped to Matt in horror as he glared from the barn door. The look he held as he stepped inside in a determined pace tightened my guts, shaking away my doze dizziness at once. In a moment I was on my feet, immediately missing Nate's heat, he groaned too at the lost but I was more focused on wrapping the blanket over my shirtless form instead as I stepped in my brother's way.

"It's not what it looks like." I rushed hushedly, and pushed him back towards the door, quickly grabbing my slippers as we passed them.

"No? Funny, why are you half naked then?"

My cheeks blushed crimson red as I keep tugging him backwards. "Matt, please."

Somehow I managed to take him outside with me, but I think it had something to do with him struggling to control his temper. I could tell by the way he balled his hands.

 His frown shifted from a furious one to a somewhat confused right before I pulled the sliding door shut between us and the barn.

"What were you gonna do, uh?" I breathed shakily at the wave of freezing air once outdoor and bent to slid on the comfy slippers. The sky was still mostly dark if it wasn't for the thin line of light breaking on the horizon, so it must be really early morning still. "Drag him out?"

"If that's what it takes." my brother shrugged and I glared, but when his eyes turned from the door to mine there was something else above the initial rage. Hesitation, maybe. "Were those bruises?"

My stomach twitched, knowing very well he was referring to the awful dark marks across Nate's ribs. I tightened the blanket around me, now that the initial rush was kinda settling I was realizing that stepping into the cold only protected with blanked over my bra and pajama's pants wasn't such a good idea.