Ch.2

With Trollex: 

The young king was being dragged through the river by his best friend, half-conscious and badly injured. 

Or should he say former king. 

He sighed, looking down at the sandy floor of the river, watching as rocks and lost things stolen by Finders-Keepers critters passed by. 

Trollex had heard of these creatures, but he never saw them before since they mostly inhibit beach areas, close enough to the mainland so they could steal things. They’re rarely seen in or around Techno Reef, since the water is too deep for them, and they like to stick to the surface where it's warmer. 

“It’s ok Trollex, I think we’re close enough. I’m going to take us up to the surface. Do you think you’re strong enough to climb out of the water?” asked Beat gently, the sound of worry evident in his voice. 

Trollex groaned in pain as he tried moving his right arm. 

“I-I don’t know Beat. My right arm hurts a lot...I-I think it might be broken…” said Trollex, letting go of Beat and clutching his right arm close to his chest.

In doing this, he was left floating, causing Beat to stop swimming and turn around to make sure his best friend was alright. 

Beat thought for a minute before making up his mind. 

“Ok buddy, I’m going to swim up to the surface and see where we’re at. Stay here, I’ll be back in just a minute” explained Beat, frowning. 

Trollex didn’t answer, instead nodding his head in understanding, closing his eyes as he continued to float where he was. 

Beat sighed as he swam up to the surface, breaking through the water and looking around, trying to spot any landmarks or familiar areas. Anything that could tell him where they were. 

He turned around and smiled when he saw what appeared to be a cluster of pods hanging from the branches of different trees. He remembered that Pop Trolls live in pods that hang from high branches of trees so as to not be eaten by creatures that normally prey on them. 

Beat quickly swam back underwater to rejoin Trollex so he could bring him up to the surface. 

“Come on Trollex, we’re close to Pop Troll Village!” said the Beat Drop Button fish, swimming under Trollex’s left arm and dragging him up to the surface. 

Trollex didn’t say anything or fight back, too weak to actually do anything.

Breaking the surface of the water, Beat led his friend towards the shoreline, making sure that Trollex had climbed out of the water before jumping out and landing beside him. 

The two lay on the grass, Trollex having flopped down on his side before pushing himself so he was laying on his back instead, breathing fresh air. 

He hissed in pain as he clutched his right arm close to his chest, feeling a pulse of pain run through it. 

“You ok Trollex? How’s your arm feelin’?” asked Beat, glancing over at the former king, unable to move until he was dry enough to float through the air. 

“It hurts a lot, Beat. I can barely feel my hand” admitted Trollex, glancing over at the Beat Drop Button fish. 

Beat sighed, unable to do anything else until they’re either dry enough to float through the air, or until someone finds them, which is unlikely since-

A snap was heard from somewhere behind them, causing the two to jump in fright. 

Trollex immediately rolled over so he was on his stomach, his left arm propped under him in case he needed to escape quickly, Beat now floating in the air since he was smaller, allowing him to dry off quicker than Trollex.