8-Flatter

Kipendacho ngoma roho.
(That which is loved is music for the heart.)

______________________________________

Raziya

I could not believe what my life had become the last couple of minutes. I'd just woken up in a stranger's bedroom, not to mention that the stranger is male. Taboo. That's just what it is. And yet there I was, sliding myself into his car. If we were still in the traditional African times and the village elder was keeping a track record of people's strikes, I'd be one strike away from being excommunicated.

Despite all that, I was finally inside my dream car. Shutting the door beside me, I slowly turned my head to survey my surroundings as Taji roared the engine to life. As the car started, the air vents automatically opened up and lay seamlessly flat on the dashboard. As cool air was blown gently to my face, I traced the wooden trim dashboard with my eyes, following it to the black steering wheel that had four silver interlinked rings protruding from the centre.

I took my eyes back to the centre of the dashboard following Taji's hand towards the touchscreen infotainment system. He tapped on a few buttons then looked up to me and asked where exactly we were headed to.

"You can drop me off in town," my voice a bit choked from my amusement and excitement. I looked away and threw my eyes all round the rest of the interior of the car not a care in the world about how childish I looked. I was snapped back to earth by an annoying beeping sound. I furrowed my eyebrows as I tried to trace where the sound came from.

"Uhm, your seatbelt, " Taji suggested and I internally slapped myself for not knowing the basic things about typically all cars.

"Do you mind if I drove you all the way home," he asked.

I held my breath, envisioning how dramatic it would be stepping out of a 60 thousand dollar car, to a street filled with weed wasted hooligans. My neighbourhood wasn't as bad as others in the city, but it had it's own fair share of issues. There was this one group of boys, men, I don't really know where to place them.

All they did was sit by the road, puffing out smoke like human chimneys as they cat called every female that crossed their path. They never did anything potentially illegal in terms of assault, but then again, I didn't bother knowing much about them, so who knows. I just made sure I had my head held down and ignored their mindless banter. It always ticked them off whenever someone did that. The cat calls would stop and an array of insults would be hurled at you for acting like an arrogant snob.

"No, I'm good," I didn't want to make the rich kid beside me go through that drama. There was also the fear of what my parents would think after the ten missed calls and worried texts sent to me the previous night. Then my shady explanation to how woke up in a client's house (especially the part where he was male). Then showing up in this car. No way on earth.

"Okay, then,"

Awkward silence.

"Uhm, some music maybe?"he spoke up again.

"Sure,"

"Do me a favour. Connect this to your phone's bluetooth then listen to whatever you like, " taking his eyes off the road for a second to send me a polite smile as he pointed one of the screens.

"Okay," I answered, staring at the screens in front of me feeling like a village girl. I hesitated for a moment before seeing the option on the smaller screen below the larger one. I fumbled through a few controls, accidentally turning on the radio then shutting it of immediately. I heard a silent chuckle come from him and I shot him a pointed look. Unmoved, he glanced over at me then let out a proper hearty laughter.