29-Family gathering

Taji

"Baby brooooo!" Tessa screamed as she sprinted out of the house when I arrived.

"I'm a grown man." I mumbled as she hugged me tightly. Terry followed her and joined in the hug.

"Wait," Tessa said as she pulled away,"Are you working out or not eating?" She said as she squeezed my biceps.

"You'd seriously think that I'd just stop eating? " I asked as I laughed at her expression.

"Please don't tell me that you're trying to get a model's body for your girl," Terry joked. My heart leapt to my throat as I lacked a response to that. Not that I was working out to impress anyone, it was just a decision I made for myself. I just wondered how the news spread to them.

Tanya!

"No way. Just trying something new." I eventually answered.

"So when were you going to tell us about her?" Terry asked as she raised her perfectly drawn eyebrow at me.

"Soon," I said rubbing the back of my neck nervously.

"So she does exist. See the Lord!" She shouted as she raised her hands and looked up dramatically. I had way too many dramatic people in my life at this point. They'd both picked up traces of British accents. I smiled as it reminded me of my morning with Raz.

"So what's she like? How did you meet? When are we meeting her? How many dates-" Tessa began rambling but I stopped her by placing my index finger over her mouth.

"Sssshhh, can I please get in?"

They both groaned but obliged anyway. They clung onto my arms on both sides as they went on and on about how much they'd missed teasing me.

My mind wasn't really there though. I hated being in my father's house. It always felt way too big and empty, not just because he was the only one living there, but because all the love that once filled it was completely drained. I took in a deep breath as we walked in, awaiting some rude welcoming gesture from him. They walked me to the kitchen and I spotted his tall frame next to the grill with my uncle and aunt.

"Where's Tanya?" I asked them as we walked to the backyard.

"She... is... uhm... at home. She's not feeling well," Terry said.

What?

If there was one thing that was a trademark on Terry, it was the inability to tell convincing lies. There was something strange going on. I wasn't quite sure why they seemed like they were trying to hide something from me.

"She just has really bad cramps. You wouldn't understand," Tessa said and I actually believed her. Tanya always seemed like she was dying the next minute at that time of the month so I just brushed it off and decided I'll check on her later.

"Hey!" My aunt called out as she came up to hug me. My uncle followed suit.

"Napika nyama choma. (I'm making grilled meat)I'm glad that the actual chef is here," he said as he handed me a spatula.