11-Fortunate

Kuuliza si ujinga
(Asking questions is not ignorance)

______________________________________

Taji

I'd sat on my bed staring at my mother's Bible for what seemed like an eternity. I used to see her read it everyday. So there I was, thinking that it was as easy as that. I wanted to open it but I didn't even know where to begin.

Should I just close my eyes and just open a random page?

Time really really flew as I sat there, my mind completely blank. The sound of my doorbell withdrew me from my confused state. I got up to answer it knowing that it'd be Tanya since she was the only one who was around here. Well, apart from Raz.

Gosh, that girl.
Wait.
I could ask her for help.

The person standing on the other side of the door almost made my jaw drop.

"Mark?" I said, throwing my eyes behind him in search of my sister.

" What's up bro? Are you gonna let me in or what?" he replied to my not so friendly welcoming gesture.

"Sure, uhm... what brings you here?"

"First of all, rude, second do I need a particular reason to visit a friend?"he said as he got in with a gift bag in his hand.

"I'm sorry, just a bit distraught today. What's in the bag? Last time I checked, my birthday isn't till January. You're three months a bit too early."

He chuckled as he placed the bag on my counter. "I forgot that supermarkets don't give plastic bags these days so I had to buy this. I'm assuming you're not busy, so I just thought we'd have guys night. Okay yes I know it's like 3pm. And before you protest, no I'm not sleeping over."

"How sure are you that I'm not?"

"Bro, you never go out. Which is weird considering you're managing a travelling agency." This was partly because I didn't have anyone to go with. I used to travel a lot with Tanya, till she got promoted and the working hours weren't that flexible. Oh yeah and she's someone's wife.

"Oh please. Uhm... okay... so what's the plan?"

Laughing at my oblivious question, "Plan? What? It's not one of those girl sleepovers where we make a list of all the beauty treatments we'll go through, we just hang. You sound as if you've never had a guys night. Lol,"

My heart felt a bit constricted. I'd been a while since I had a friend who wasn't a family member. The last time I did, they were called play dates, so do the math.

"Oh no, I'm sorry, I didn't know. I won't bore you to death on your first one bro," he went on as if reading my mind after how hard I was trying to keep my face emotionless.

"It's cool, lemme fix us something to eat,"

"You cook!" He exclaimed as he pulled out something from the bag.

Please don't be booze.
Soda.
Phew.