31-Fervid

Ng'ombe halemewi na nunduye.
(A cow is not oppressed by it's own hump.)

______________________________________

Taji

Do you know that feeling you get on the inside when your folks finally get you that one video game you've always wanted? If not, do you know that feeling you get when you get that one dress that you've always wanted even if you don't really know when you'll ever wear it? None of that compared to the excitement I had that early morning.

Not so long ago I'd managed to convince Raziya's parents that I'd bring her back in one piece. There I was going to the coast for the first time in my old age. My life had turned into a whole album of hit songs, each better than the last.

Well there was also the fact that my whole body was tingling as I tried to shut down the excessive ecstasy I was getting. I still hadn't bothered to get more meds. I had bigger things to focus on honestly. For starters, how weird Tanya was getting. I was bummed when I didn't find her home a week ago but she called me everyday since.

I was packed up and ready to go by 4 am. The drive from Nairobi to Mombasa would take about 8 hours, at least that's what Lily said, so we all decided to meet at my place at 6 am. I spent the next hour on my morning devotional routine.

As expected, my punctual Strawberry was the first to arrive. She wore a baby pink hoodie and grey sweats with her hairstyle changed to long dark braids with purple highlights.

"5:30? Did you even sleep?" I asked as I hugged her.

"Imagine no, and it's all your fault anyway,"

"How so?" I asked as I chuckled.

"You texted me till 2!"

"Well you replied didn't you?"

"Well... whatever, please tell me you have food." She said as she dropped her duffel bag then walked to my fridge. She pulled out some left over rice and beans and heated it up in the microwave. It was really heart  warming seeing how comfortable she was roaming my apartment like she had shares in it.

She could.
You never know.

"You seem ready to go," she said bringing my head back to planet earth before it went too far.

"Well of course I do, for obvious reasons. You seem eager to see me," I replied with a wink.

"What?" She chuckled as she took out the plate and sat on a bar stool.

"You came here early knowing that our other friends are horrible with time. It's self explanatory sweetheart,"

"Ewww, no, just stick to strawberry, sheesh,"

"So you like it?" I said stepping closer to her.

"Probably," she answered with a mouth full of food. Real cute.

"So you're not denying that you wanted some alone time with me huh,"

"Well, what if I did?" She asked, her voice low and dark. I wasn't expecting her to play along. So I just stopped in my tracks and gawked at her. She then burst out into laughter and I scoffed. I sat across her and just stared at her.