13-Fastidious

Kipendacho moyo ni dawa
(What pleases the heart is like medicine)

______________________________________

Taji

Raz went to wash her hands and I grasped that opportunity to properly check her out. Her curly hair was straightened. Half of it was held up as the other half dropped all the way to the middle of her back. She had a baby pink cropped hoodie with something white underneath it covering up her tummy. I could tell that she was going for trendy but playing it safe by not showing any skin. She had faded blue mom jeans that reached her ankles, exposing white ankle socks that peeked through her vans.

As she walked back, I studied her face. She still didn't have that much make up on, probably her style and I kinda liked it. Actually I really liked it. She had the same clear lipgloss as always. The little piercing on her nose was still there but this time accompanied by silver hoops hanging off her ears. I'd never actually seen her with dangling earrings. They made her face look slightly more mature, glimmering as they reflected sun rays on her flawless chocolate skin. I got up and did the same then came back.

"You haven't started eating yet?" I asked as I slid into my seat.

"Yeah... I was waiting for you so that we'd give thanks first." She said trying to hide the nerves flowing through her body as she shook her leg. I hadn't known her for that long but I was having a really hard time figuring her out. On phone, she's all silly and feisty. In person, she's a bit shy and overly apologetic about everything. If I didn't know any better, I'd say she's the one who's bipolar.

She reached out her hands across the table as she bowed her head. I slid mine into hers and a slight spark burst in me as my hands made contact with her smooth skin. I could tell that she felt it too because she stiffened for a second then held on to mine tighter. As she bowed, I got trapped by her scent that almost paralyzed me earlier on when I hugged her. It was fruity and fresh, with a predominant strawberry fragrance.

She's praying.
Focus Taji.

I bowed and listened to her quick but detailed prayer then said amen when she was done. I passed her the ketchup then watched her pour it over her fries in a couple  of perpendicular lines. It was kinda strange, but that was probably because I always just drenched my fries in ketchup. She threw her eyes around the table then took out some a pocket tissue, unfolded it and placed it on her laps. She then picked up her fork to dig in. As if noticing my glare, she look up at me and raised an eyebrow. "What?"

"Nothing. You're just... entertaining. What's with the tissue? "

"They don't have table cloths, "

"You actually use them?"

"Yeah, I don't want any unnecessary colours added onto my outfit," her voice regaining the nervous tone as she looked down. I narrowed my eyes at her then went on eating.

"So, coffee or tea?" I asked to get a conversation going.

"What do you mean,"

"Coffee or tea, choose one,"

"Uhm tea..."

"Me too, now you ask something," I said with a grin hoping that she'd catch on.

"Coke or fanta,"she continued.

"Coke all day any day!"

"Oh my gosh I know right? Lily keeps giving me speeches about how toxic it is and a bunch of other things that honestly just fly over my head,"