10-Facts

Kusema ukweli si tua
(Speaking the truth is no disgrace)

______________________________________

Raziya

"Are you sure that's the full story?" My mum asked, eyes piercing deep into me.

Raising one hand up and placing the other one on my chest," It's the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth."

Her frown eased up a bit as she held back a laughter.

"I believe her, or rather I believe that our parenting has been good enough over the years," my dad defended.

My mother searched my face one more time for any trace of deceit before throwing her arms up in surrender, "Fine, but don't scare us like that again, okay?" Cupping face in her hands. I smiled back at her and nodded.

It had been a long morning as I tried to narrate the series of events that led me to spending the night at Taji's. My honesty seemed questionable as heat flushed to my cheeks each time I mentioned his name to them. One thing I couldn't shake off though were the dark circles around his eyes.

Where did he go for the past four days?
Maybe he's just tired.

I still couldn't understand why he was back that early in the morning. Shaking away any more thoughts about him, I went ahead with my usual morning routine. I opened my Bible app. Upon seeing that the scripture that stood out deserved a post, I took a screen shot and posted it. I followed it with another song that popped up in my head.

I'm supposed to meditate on that word.
Or at least even listen to the song.
Lemme take a shower first.

I decided to shower. Once I was satisfied with my clean up routine, I dropped on my bed and reached out for my phone. I went straight to see how many people had viewed my status update. The same old people, but one contact stood out.

Mr. Taji.
Okay.
Don't overthink.
Don't overthink.
Don't overthink.

I scrolled through again, now certain that I was looking for a specific name.

Jab.
Jab.
Jab.
Okay, it's still early.

Tossing my phone to the side as I lay on my stomach, I made a mental note to change Mr. Taji to Taji. That thought didn't last long as I fell asleep, again. Fatigue had really gotten the best of me but at least this time I was home.

》《

I woke up to the sound of my phone ringing at midday. I checked on the caller ID and saw Blue Bird. I knew exactly what she wanted.

"Hey, what's up," my voice still a bit hoarse.

"Were you asleep? Man I wish I had your life. Anywaaaaayyyy, how was your morning?" Her playful voice ringing in my ears. Choosing not to play along, I acted oblivious.

"It was normal, how was yours?"

"It was normal," she replied mocking my tone. "Now that that's out of the way, tell me everything. "