Ch. 27 - FIREFLIES

Nova's outfit

Chapter Twenty-seven ⊚ Fireflies ⊚

Fireflies

Engine off, Derek, Nova and Isaac watch Scott talking to Argent just a few yards away. They had been running around the woods trying to catch Boyd and Cora but had no luck so they decided to get some professional help. "You think this is going to work?" Isaac asked from the back seat.

"No."

"Me either. So... your sister." Isaac started making Derek slowly turn an incredulous gaze on Isaac while Nova just snickered. "Sorry. Bad timing. I'll ask later. Or never. I'm good with never."

In a small clearing underneath the full moon, a group of unlikely werewolf hunters gathers. Argent drops an equipment bag on the ground in front of Scott, Isaac, Derek and Nova. Then kneels to examine the numerous prints in the dirt, "You've been tracking them by print?"

"Trying to."

Then you've been wasting your time. The only creature on earth that can visually track footprints is man. And if you're not trained like me you have no idea that this print is Boyd's and these-"

"Are Cora's." Isaac said confidently. "No, they're yours. You trampled Cora's when you first walked over here." Argent said and Isaac lifts his foot to back up. Then doesn't seem to know where to step making Nova quietly chuckle. "Listen, I know the three of you are focusing half your energy on resisting your own urges under the full moon, but that puts you at a severe disadvantage to Boyd and Cora, who have fully given in. They put the pedal to the floor where you three are barely hitting the speed limit."

"So what do we do."

Focus on your sense of smell. Actual wolves are known to track their prey by up to a hundred Miles a day by scent. A trained hunter can use scent to track them. If the wind is with them, wolves can track a scent by a distance of two Miles, which means we can draw them to us... Or into a trap. Full moon does give us one advantage. They'll have a higher heat signature, which makes them easier to spot with infrared." Argent said as he tossed Derek some night vision goggles.

"Thanks but I've got my own." Derek said flashing his red eyes as he handed the goggles to Nova who happily took them like a child who just got a new toy.

"Just remember we're not hunting wild animals. Underneath those impulses are two intelligent human beings. Don't think they can't rely on that human side. It's suppressed but it's there. Reminding them how to
mask their own scent. How to cover
their tracks. How to survive."