21 ~ The First Task

When Isabelle woke up the following morning, she could feel the heavy tension throughout the entire carriage. Various students wandered up to Fleur and wished her luck as she nervously paced around. Isabelle had sent her several encouraging smiles, although she felt like she might need one herself. Madame Maxime came down the stairs to inform the students they were to leave lessons at midday and make their way down the the arena. Isabelle couldn't shift the sickly feeling that remained in her stomach. The Beauxbatons began making their way up to breakfast and as they passed everyones eyes were fixed on Fleur. She seemed to be enjoying the attention but even Isabelle could tell she was feeling just as nervous, if not more. "You'll be fine, Fleur. Just remember, when you cast the spell stay away from the dragon for a few moments. A jet of smoke or flames might come from the nostrils of the dragon and if that hits you you'll lose points." Fleur nodded and took a seat next to Cho Chang, the pretty Ravenclaw girl from the first day. 

"Isabelle, are you okay? You look like you're going to pass out." Alex muttered as he leant across the table in divination. Professor Trelawney was chattering in front of the class about various prophecies regarding the tournament. Isabelle nodded, staring into the crystal ball that sat on top of the small, knee high table placed in front of them. Alex checked his watch nervously, only a few more minutes till lunch. Finally, the bell rang and Alex jumped up out of his chair dragging Isabelle behind him. "Clementine, fix her. She looks terrible." Her called as they neared the girl who was sat at the table already eating a sandwich. Normally a comment like that would cause Isabelle to insult him back, but the nerves were eating away at her too badly.

Before Clementine had time to say anything everyones attention turned to see Professor Mcgonagall strolling into the Great Hall in the direction of the Gryffindor table. Isabelle jumped up from her seat, watching her wander up to Harry. Numbly, she watched the boy get up and follow the professor out of the hall. Mcgonagall almost looked just as nervous as Isabelle did as she lead the boy towards the dragons. Fleur was no where to be seen, so the others guessed she had already gone down to wherever the champions were. 

Not long after, Dumbledore entered the Great Hall and announced the students may begin taking their seats. Isabelle practically sprinted out of the room with Clementine, Max and Alex chasing after her. They were the first students to arrive at the arena, hundreds upon hundreds of seats were positioned high above a dome like area. Inside were chains and a dragons nest filled with dragon eggs as well as a sparkling golden egg. Isabelle took a seat to the left of the arena so she could get a perfect view of where the dragons would be. "They have to get that golden egg. That's the challenge. Dragons are very protective over their eggs so they have to take the dragons attention off them to try to get it." Isabelle explained as she worked out tactical moves they could use. Soon, the other seats were filled and the tournament was about to start. 

Various wizards that Isabelle recognised to be the men who brought the dragons began unloading the Swedish Short-Snout into the enclosure. It looked angry and riled up until it neared closer to its eggs. The wizards chained its leg to a nearby rock to prevent it from escaping, Isabelle crossed her fingers hoping Harry would be first and get it over and done with. The first whistle sounded and Cedric emerged into the arena. The crowd cheered and roared with excitement as Cedric made eye contact with the dragon. From Isabelles seat she could see Cedric's face was full of nerves, she couldn't imagine what Harrys would've been like. The boy stepped up and pulled his wand out pointing it towards a nearby rock. Instantly, a Labrador took the rocks place and began rushing round the arena, circling the dragon. The Short-Snout began chasing the dog causing the crowd to cheer. 

Bagman was sat next to the judges table at the top of the arena watching the tournament and narrating it as Cedric moved. Cedric began carefully trying to sneak to the eggs, he took his time ensuring the dragon was far enough away and the dog was trapped to the left of the enclosure. With each passing movement Bagman would yell another comment clearly causing Cedric to lose concentration. Isabelle held her breath as she watched him get within grasping reach when the  dragon caught sight of him. It whipped around and sent a blast of fire towards him, but it was too late. Cedric had the golden egg in his hand, but the jet of fire flew across the arena and burnt the side of his face. He let out a yelp of pain which was drowned out by the intense cheering of the crowd, "Very good indeed, now time for the judges scores." Bagman called as everyones attention moved to the judges table. Isabelle quickly scanned the cards to work a total score of 38. The crowd applauded as Cedric was rushed to the nurse while the Short-Snout was replaced with the Common Welsh Green.