41 ~ Elegance and Explanations

"Isabelle!" Clementine yelled from inside the grand ball room within the Barnette mansion. Isabelle rushed in and pulled the girl into a hug, although they had only been apart for a few weeks, they'd missed each other dearly. Isabelle's heart shattered as she imagined being unable to see her for over a year, maybe more. She looked down at her elegant baby pink dress, it was beautiful with white lace flowing down her skirt. Her brown hair was filled up into a bun at the top of her head with a band of pearls wrapped around it. Isabelle forced a smile onto her face as the pair pulled apart, "My parents are waiting for me by the fountain, but I'll see you later." Clementine beamed before rushing off in the direction of the fountain. Isabelle waved her off before turning back to Jenn and Adam, Jenn wore a beautiful black and white gown with long, silk sleeves. Her black hair was pulled up in a silk ribbon and tied at the back of her head. While Adam wore a smart, black tux with a black tie and a white handkerchief in his pocket. 

The faint sound of music rung throughout the hall as hundreds of guests flowed through the doors and disbursed around the room. A crystal chandelier hung above head, shining specs of light over those beneath it. In the centre of the hall stood a small, ice fountain with punch flowing from the spout. Around it stood various tables filled with foods of all sorts. Wizarding families of all ages gathered around the room, from the corner of her eye, Isabelle spotted Max and Sylvie standing beside their parents, greeting the guests that arrived. Isabelle grabbed Jenn and Adam's sleeves, dragging them towards the family. As Max caught sight of her, a wide smile sprung to his lips. Isabelle rushed over to him as Max pulled her into a hug, "Belle, I've missed you." He smiled as he rested his chin on the top of her head. Isabelle beamed into his chest, feeling his lips press onto the top of her forehead. 

"So this is the famous Isabelle Potter then." Max's mother said smiling once the pair had pulled apart. Max's cheeks flushed red as he grasped her hand in his, Isabelle smiled and nodded holding her hand out for the woman to shake. "It's lovely to meet you dear, I'm Amber and this is Derek." The woman smiled as she gestured to the man standing beside her. She had long, straight blonde hair that was very similar to Sylvie's while Derek had dark brown hair that matched Max's perfectly. "It's nice to finally meet you, too." She beamed back at the two adults. Suddenly, Sylvie rushed through the crowds and pulled Isabelle into a hug. "Hey!" She called. Isabelle turned to see Jenn and Adam standing behind her smiling, "Oh, this is Jenn my adopted mother and Adam my adoptive father." She introduced allowing Derek and Amber to shake their hands. They instantly began to talk as Sylvie and Max slipped away, pulling Isabelle with them. 

"So where's Clementine?" Max asked as he slipped his arm around her waist. Isabelle smiled ands shrugged her shoulders, shooting a glance over to the fountain, "She was over there with her parents. But now she's disappeared." She giggled shaking her head as she rested it onto his shoulder. Sylvie pointed over to the corner where Alex, Louis and Carmine were talking and giggling with one another. The three made their way over and joined the group. "Hey." Alex greeted them with a wide smiled, "What did Jenn and Adam say about your plan?" He asked turning to Isabelle, all of their faces dropped, the smiles had disappeared, being replaced with looks of panic and dismay. Isabelle looked down at the ground and sighed, "They're alright with it. I'm leaving in two weeks." She muttered quietly, Max immediately let go of her hand and stumbled backwards. 

Clementine's eyes shot to hers, sadness already shown within them, "Belle..." She said, no louder than a whisper. Isabelle shook her head and stepped back, "I'm doing this, I'll write you each letters whenever I can." She said, her voice suddenly serious and full of confidence. The group nodded and instantly began pulling her into a hug. Max pushed his way through the crowd and stormed out of the hall in the direction of the stairs in the hall. Isabelle looked to Sylvie who nodded, indicating her to follow him. Isabelle picked up the skirt of her dress and bolted after him, not caring whether her heels snapped or not. "Max! Max, please! Max!" She called as she followed him up the marble staircase. The boy ignored her and fled into the room down the corridor slamming the door behind himself. 

"Max, please. Lets talk about this." Isabelle begged as she banged on the door. Silence rained from inside the room, as Isabelle felt the tears sting her eyes. "Max, let me in. Please, let me explain." The door flung open to reveal Max sitting on his bed, his wand twirling around his fingers and a heartbroken expression on his face. Isabelle slowly walked in and perched on the edge of his bed, "Max-" She started but was quickly cut off by the boy pressing his lips to hers. Isabelle melted under his touch and kissed the boy back, tangling her fingers in his dark hair and letting his hands fall to her waist. They slowly pulled apart, leaning their foreheads against one another breathlessly. "I love you, Belle." He said through heavy breaths, his eyes looking into hers. Isabelle smiled, her heart swelled at his words, "I love you too, Max." His eyes lit up at her response as he pulled back and grabbed her hand in his. 
"I want to come with you." He blurted out. 

Isabelle paused for a moment, unsure of how to respond. "Max, you can't. It's going to be dangerous and I'm searching for a spell and if I find it you wont let me complete it. I love you Max and for that you have to stay here. Please, finish Beauxbatons, get a good job and just forget about me." Isabelle sighed, the tears now dripping down her face. Max gently wiped away the tears with his thumbs, "I'll let you do the spell I promise, what ever you need I'll let you do it. But I wont let you go alone and I wont move on without you. Isabelle, where you go, I'm coming whether you like it or not." Isabelle smiled weakly and nodded pressing a tender kiss on his lips.
"Okay, you can come but when I visit Remus and Sirius I have to go alone, they're not going to like me being there let alone bringing someone with me." Isabelle sighed, a small smile playing on her face. Max nodded and pulled Isabelle into a hug, resting her head against his chest. 

Isabelle looked up to the boy, her hands working up his chest and tugged off his black suit jacket. A smile sprang to the boys lips as his hands trailed to her hips. Isabelle pulled his closer and pressed her lips against his and slowly began unbuttoning his white shirt. Max chuckled as he unzipped the back of her dress. Isabelle unbuckled his belt and slowly took off his trousers. "You sure you want to do this?" Max whispered as he stood above Isabelle who was lead on the bed, him towering over her. The girl smiled and nodded, pulling him back down to kiss her. 

Later that evening, Isabelle and Max made their way back downstairs to see many of the guests had gone home. Clementine, Sylvie, Alex and Louis were curled up in the living room watching a film on the muggle television while the rest of the adults were still chattering in the hall. The two crept into the room and settled into an armchair beside the others. Clementine and Alex shot over smirking looks as they began stifling giggles. Clementine subtly rubbed under her eye to indicate to Isabelle that her mascara had been smudged. She quickly wiped it away and turned into Max's chest, trying to stop herself from bursting out laughing. 

"Well you two had fun then." Clementine whispered, leaning closer to the two with Alex's arm wrapped around her. Max's face flushed red, his eyes not moving from the screen as Isabelle broke out into muffled giggles, her head remaining in Max's chest. "Don't pretend like I didn't catch you two in the carriage." Max muttered back causing Isabelles laughter to intensify. Alex immediately blushed and Clementines eyes widened as she turned to Alex. Now it was their time to be embarrassed. "You. Are. Evil." Alex mouthed as he tried to stop himself from bursting out laughing.

"We're gonna miss you two, you know." Clementine said through the tears as Isabelle prepared to leave. Alex and the others nodded in agreement, wiping their tears from their cheeks. "I promise I'll come and visit you after everything." Isabelle smiled weakly as she hugged each of them goodbye. Lastly, she came to Max, he beamed widely at her and pressed a kiss to her cheek, "I'll be at your place the morning we go okay?" Isabelle nodded and waved them off as Jenn and Adam lead her out of the mansion, back home to their own place.