37 ~ Cedric's Memory

The students filed into the Great Hall in single file, each of them trudging silently. The hall had been altered for the occasion, the usual hall decorations were missing. Tonight, there were black drapes on the wall behind the teachers table. Isabelle felt her heart swell at the mark of respect for Cedric. The candles just didn't seem to shine as brightly, the bright atmosphere had been extinguished and not an ounce of excitement of the return home was precent on anyones face. Instead, it was replaced tear stained cheeks and blotched noses not to mention the grieving eyes and frowning lips. Once everyone had been seated at the four tables, Dumbledore slowly made his way to the podium. Each of his steps seeming heavy and taking a great effort from him. Isabelle could tell that he was truly affected by the loss of such a great students.

"The end of another year." Dumbledore started, it was hard not to hear the shakiness of his voice despite his desperate attempts to remain calm. His eyes drifted over to the Hufflepuff table, each of the house members were sitting silently even before Dumbledore had started talking. Their faces were pale, their eyes bloodshot and their hands shaking. "There is much I would like to say to you all tonight, but I must first acknowledge the loss of a very fine person, who should be sitting here, enjoying our feast with us. I would like you all, please, to stand and raise your glasses to Cedric Diggory." Every person in the hall stood, their goblets raised in the air. Not a single person remained sitting, Isabelle felt her knees wobble but she refused to let them buckle. Opposite her stood Cho, tears were streaming down her face as she silently sobbed, clutching onto a blonde girl next to her. In union the hall spoke in low, mourning voices repeating, "Cedric Diggory." They all sat down and for a moment, the silence rained over them all, it was heavy and pressing on each of their chests. 

"Cedric was a person who exemplified many of the qualities that distinguish Hufflepuff house. He was a good and loyal friend, a hard worker, he valued fair play." Isabelle silently couldn't help but feel guilty about threatening him about helping Harry in the second task. She felt guilty for judging him, making him feel bad about the badges that he didn't even create. She may have known him for a small amount of time but he truly was a kind and caring person. "His death affected you all, whether you knew him well or not. I think you have the right, therefore, to know exactly how it came about." Isabelle's eyes shot up to Dumbledore who was looking back at her, his eyes were filled with pain and sorrow. Max grabbed Isabelles hand and squeezed it comfortingly, sending her a weak smile. 

"Cedric Diggory was murdered by Lord Voldemort."
A series of  whispers and mutters ran over the hall, all of them filled with panic. Dumbledore stood in front of the hall, remaining calm allowing the students to get the worries out now. Silence fell over the hall again as they looked up at Dumbledore waiting for him to continue. "The Ministry of Magic, does not wish me to tell you this. It is possible that some of your parents will be horrified that I have done so - either because they will not believe that Lord Voldemort has returned, or because they think I should not tell you so, young as you are. It is in my belief, however, that the truth is generally preferable to lies, and that any attempt to pretend that Cedric died as a result of an accident or as some sort of blunder to his own, would be an insult to his memory." The hall watched stunned, disbelief on their faces. Dumbledore nodded to Isabelle before turning back to the rest of the hall. 

"There is someone else who must be mentioned in connection with Cedric's death, I am talking, of course, about Harry Potter." Isabelle rolled her eyes and cursed under her breath as every eye in the hall darted over to Harry before flickering back to Dumbledore. "He's just watched one of his fellow students be murdered and now he's drawing attention to it. What gave him the right to do that?" She muttered angrily to Clementine who placed a hand on her arm in attempts to calm her down. Isabelle took a deep breath before turning back to Dumbledore, "Harry Potter managed to escape Lord Voldemort. He risked his own life to return Cedric's body to Hogwarts. He showed, in every respect, the sort of bravery that few wizards have ever shown in facing Lord Voldemort, and for this, I honour him." Dumbledore raised his goblet in the direction of Harry and quickly everyone followed and muttered his name. 

Although the mutters didn't quite stop there, from the Hufflepuff table, Isabelle could just hear the mutter of a blonde haired girl. "Honour him? Cedric died and we have to honour Harry just because he brought back his body? I'd honour him if he saved Cedric or they survived together but not just because he brought back a body." Isabelle felt her blood boil and her hands ball into fists. Max wrapped his arm around her waist and Clementine gripped her hands, "They're just upset about his death, it's okay." 

"The Triwizard Tournament's aim was to further and promote magical understanding. In light of what has happened - of Lord Voldemorts return - such ties are more important than ever before." Dumbledore's gaze followed from Madame Maxime and Hagrid at the teachers table then down to Fleur who was being hugged gently by Vivienne and Aiméé then to Isabelle and the others. Before drifting over to the Durmstrang's. Fleur looked weak and frail, Krum looked frightened and fearful while Harry looked complete broken on the inside. "Every guest in this Hall, will be welcomed back here at any time, they should wish to come." His eyes fell onto Isabelle before he continued, "I say to you all, once again in light of Voldemorts return, we are only as strong as we are united, as weak we are divided. Lord Voldemorts gift for spreading discord and enmity is very great. We can fight it only by showing an equally strong bond of friendship and trust. Difference of habitat and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open." Dumbledore paused, taking a breath for a moment as if what he's saying is causing him great pain, which would be understandable.

"It is my belief - and never have I so hoped that I am mistaken - that we are all facing dark and difficult times.Some of you in this hall have already suffered directly at the hands of Lord Voldemort. Many of your families have been tour asunder. A week ago, a student was taken from our midst. Remember Cedric, remember, if the time should come where you should have to make a choice between what is right and what is easy, remember what happened to a boy that was good, and kind, and brave, because he stray across the path of Lord Voldemort. Remember Cedric Diggory." The Hall was devoured by sadness, not a single person had anything more to say. They filed out, suppressed by a darkness inside each of them that would remain there for as long as Voldemort was at large.

"Isabelle, how are you feeling?" Severus asked, the girl shrugged and continued her venture up to the library. "Shouldn't you be going to the carriage to have a good nights sleep before your travelling tomorrow?" He asked trailing behind her. Isabelle shook her head and scoffed.
"No, I can sleep in the carriage but what I can't do is read these books while I'm in Ilvermorny. I only have a few left then I've gone through this entire library yet I'm still no closer to finding the one I want." Severus sighed and nodded, knowing it best to let her get whatever she needed from the books rather than to argue with her. 

Isabelle reached the library and began going through the shelves, "Read...read...read twice...read...read..." She reached the final shelf at the back of the library and began scanning through the books. She pulled out various spell books and enchantments placing them on a table in the corner. She scanned through hundreds of thousands of pages, searching through spells of all sorts. 

"Hey," A quiet whisper came from behind her, Isabelle turned to see Max stood with a red cased, leather book. The girl smiled weakly and allowed the boy to pull her into a hug. "How are you doing?" He said softly, pressing a kiss on top of her head. Isabelle shrugged and sat back in her seat, continuing her reading. "I guess I'm doing okay, I just need to find this dumb spell." She snapped throwing the book at the wall. Max jumped back slightly, his eyes widening. Isabelle took a deep breath and sighed, "I'm sorry, I just need to speak to Jenn and Adam, I really miss them."
Max nodded and held onto Isabelles hand, "It's okay, Belle. Tomorrow evening we'll be back in France and you can speak with Jenn and Adam." She nodded, running a thumb over the back of Max's hand. 

"What is the spell you're looking for?" He asked peering into the book she was reading. Isabelle shook her head and rubbed her face with her hands, "I can't tell you. I'm sorry, but I don't want you brought into this. I still don't know the full effects of the spell I'm trying to find."
Max shook his head and smiled, "It's alright, if you don't want me to know, I'm okay with that. I care about you, I just want you to be safe." Isabelle pressed a kiss to his lips and smiled, placing the finished book aside.
"Thank you, I promised that I'll be safe."

"Psst, Isabelle." Max whispered, several hours later. The girl squirmed in her sleep as her eyes slowly fluttered open.
"What time is it?" She asked sleepily. Max chuckled and held out a fresh set of robes in front of her, "Time to be leaving. We've got to get going or else Madame Maxime will have our heads on sticks." Isabelle groaned and waved her wand over her robes making them change into the fresh ones Max brought. She pressed a kiss to his cheek and smiled, "Thank you, Max."