Chapter 32 Chief Layla

"Layla! come on the crowd is waiting for you" Zhu li said as she closed the curtains "hey whats wrong?" Zhu li walked over to the young woman with pitch black hair and pale skin "I-is my mother out there?" Layla asked with tear filled eyes Zhu li frowned, she knew about Layla's family problems, with Lin beifong and Kya going through Arguments all the little kid wanted was to see both her parents at her ceremony for chief. "Well go look yourself" Zhu li opened the curtains slightly and watched as the young woman stood at her normal height.

she closed her eyes for a second as the right flashing lights were a bit blinding but she got use to it over a few seconds. Layla walked over to the stage and saw Zhu li alredy there 

"Good evening Republic city i happily give you our knew Chief of Police Layla Beifong!" Zhu li said as the crowed cheered.

"uh..hello" Layla said as her voice began to crack, she looked around the crowed but still didn't see one of her parents "i am Layla...um..is there any questions?"  a person in the crowed lifted there hand up 

"yes?"

"Is it true you were adopted by Kya and the former Chief"

Layla smiled she was never ashamed of telling people she was adopted she found it to be her greatest strength "Yes i am."

"Okay, and what made you want to become chief?" 

"well..when i was a kid i believed being a police chief was amazing i loved the thought of catching criminals" Layla answered as another person had there hand up.

as she answered a few more questions Zhu li announced there would only be one more question so when a woman in the back put her hand up Layla happily said yes.

"Is it true your parents are getting a divorce? and what makes you believe you'll be a better Chief then Lin beifong?" 

Zhu li turned to Layla informing her that she had to Answer because what the woman asked was not inappropriate for the crowd.

"I um...uh..-i-i " Layla began to stutter as that question was very personal and she herself didn't know her parents would go so far as to get a divorce.

"Um...i am unable to answer that question but i do not believe i am a better Police Chief than my mother.

"So you are happy your parents are getting a divorce?" Layla shook her head as she began to have a small panic attack.  She looked around the room until her eyes met with a old water tribe woman "M-mother..." She mumbled before she was escorted off the stage.

when Layla sat down she laid her head on the small table trying to control her breathing but it was not working "Layla are you okay?" Zhu li asked

"N-no!....i-i can't fucking breath... an-"

Layla turned her head as she saw the door open revealing a water tribe woman 

"Layla are you okay?" Kya said as she rushed over to her daughter, Layla turned her head, she didn't know why but she was upset with both her parents. "Layla whats wrong?" Kya asked as she looked as Zhu li telling he to give her some time with her daughter. Asa Zhu li ans the guards left Layla looked up at her mother "Is it true?...are you really going to get a divorce?" Kya stayed silent and nodded as she watched her daughters facial expression  change to anger. soon enough the door opened again "I told you give us some tim-...Lin...what are you doing he-"

"I'm here to see my daughters ceremony if you don't mind" Lin walked up to Layla and smiled "you okay? you seemed like you was having a hard time up there kid?"

Kya glared at Lin "Kid? shes your daughter you can't just call her kid" Lin stood up facing Kya 

"why are you getting so angry its all you do" Lin said mocking the water bender.

"angry! i'm not the one who chose work over your own family"

Lin growled "because i caught you with that woman! that's why i hate to be around you"

"We were taking a break lin what don't you understand about that" Kya turned her head facing the other direction

"it still hurt tho..."

Kya clenched her fist she hated how Lin made it sound like there arguments were all her fault 

"This is why we are getting a divorce!"" Lin stayed quiet she took a deep breath "y-you never told me we were getting a divorce?"

"well i'm not going to stay married to someone who thinks its all my fault"

"I never said that! all i want to know is why you chea-"

"Shut the fuck up! both of you all you do is fight and fight there has not been a day you get along, if your going to keep fighting like this maybe you two should go ahead with the stupid divorce! its that simple" Layla shouted as she stood in between the two benders

"Layla honey divorcing someone is a huge thing to do" Kya said trying to calm down her daughter.

"Then why do you keep threatening to do it! you two know very well what will happen if you get a divorce...i-ill have to go back to the shitty orphanage and right now that seems like a better home than the one i have now." there was a bit of silence  "i'm going home" Layla said as she stormed out of the room.

Kya and Lin looked at each other "kya?"

"What!"

"d-do you really want this divorce?" Lin asked in a soft voice as tears wanting to stream down her face. Kya looked at Lin "No i don't want her to go back to that horrible pl-"

"I'm not trying to be selfish but i want to know if your still married to me just for Layla, don't get me wrong i love her with my whole heart but i can't stay with you if you have ne feelings in your heart for me?" Lin wiped a stray tear that fell from her eye.

Kya looked at her with a worried expression "Lin...i'm sorry but i don't know right now, al this arguing has left a me thinking bad things about you so i'm sorry but at least for a few more weeks until shes 18...then...we can go our separate ways"

"I understand" Lin walked out the room slamming the door as the tears kept coming non-stop 

"she doesnt want you anymore"

she doesnt need you anymore"

"shes using you"

those words kept repeating in her mind.

"N-no"