𝗂𝗏. 𝗍𝗁𝖾 𝖼𝖺𝗅𝗂𝖿𝗈𝗋𝗇𝗂𝖺 𝗌𝗎𝗇

𝗶𝘃. 𝖿𝖺𝖽𝖾𝖽 𝗉𝗈𝗅𝖺𝗋𝗈𝗂𝖽𝗌: 𝗍𝗁𝖾 𝖼𝖺𝗅𝗂𝖿𝗈𝗋𝗇𝗂𝖺 𝗌𝗎𝗇
"𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐨𝐧 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐨𝐧 𝐨𝐧𝐥𝐲."

TO SAY IT WAS HOT WAS AN UNDERSTATEMENT

TO SAY IT WAS HOT WAS AN UNDERSTATEMENT. For the plane ride, I spent an hour talking to Ken about figure skating and bonding with him. Occasionally Averman would chip in his thoughts on whatever subject we were on, even though he only knew that figure skaters could spin and jump. He didn't quite understand what a Euler or a corkscrew spin was, but I gave him props for trying. I spent the other two hours asleep, curled up against the side of the plane. The heat of California was suffocating and was a stark comparison to Minnesota's usually cooler temperatures.

I could feel the heat as soon as I entered the airport off the plane. The rest of the hockey team did as well because they were soon shedding their light hoodies to get rid of some layers. I brushed off some sweat that was gathering on my forehead as we all waited for our luggage to return. At this point I was left in my short sleeve t-shirt from an old school play and I changed into a pair of shorts due to the temperature. I wouldn't be surprised if I melted into a puddle because of how hot it was.

I spotted my lilac luggage and moved quickly from my spot to retrieve it. I hoisted it off the conveyor belt, stumbling backwards over my own feet. I caught myself before I fell to the ground. Averman laughed and I shot him a death glare which shut him up quickly. After recovering from that incident, I had my two suitcases in tow as I walked to stand next to Kenny. As the rest of the team began collecting their personal belongings, Mr. Tibbles began explaining where the team would be residing. I wasn't sure if his words applied to me.

"And for you Florence, you'll be staying at the dorms with the team. Only you'll be rooming with someone I think you know quite well. Here are the keys to your dorms." Mr. Tibbles winked at me before he started passing out the keys. It seemed that everyone was already aware of who they were rooming with, they only had to find out what room they would be staying in. I still was quite unfamiliar with the team, so I shifted in my spot uncomfortably when they excitedly chattered about what they would be doing later in the day.

I didn't have plans yet. I was just ready to go to the dorms, get settled in, and probably go check out the rink that I know I'd be spending a majority of my time at. I was here for one reason, and one reason only. To skate for my country and to win the gold medal. It's not like I would spend the rest of my free time hanging around the hockey team. I tolerated liked two of them because they were bearable and made an effort to talk to me.

Miss MacKay was their tutor. She was the woman I saw earlier in the airport back in Minnesota, and she seemed very kind. I guess she must've noticed my reluctance to join the group because she walked to my side, placing a hand on my shoulder with a warm smile. I returned it with my own small grin. "Are you okay, Florence? Why don't you go talk to the rest of the team?" This caused me to brush off her hand and turn towards her with a troubled look.