Chapter 20: Surface

The floor was cold

I had nowhere to sit

No one to talk to

Next chapter this Thursday

Jungkook P.O.V

"What tea is this?" I try to start a conversation with Jimin

He doesn't respond to my question. It looks like he's zoning out a bit.

"Is it ginger tea?" I try again.

Yet again, no response whatsoever.

"W-why d-did you do it?" He stutters.

Because of the stutter, it's hard for me to make out what he just said.

"What?" I ask him to repeat his question.

"Why did you do it?" He asks me in a louder tone.

This time without a stutter. It seems like he's gained a little more confidence in his question.

"Why did you eat-" He takes a quick stop before finishing his sentence.

"-your parents?"

I take a deep breath.

Truth is that I've tried everything in my power to forget about what happened that day.

Yet every day, I am reminded of the day I lost it all.

The day I lost my humanity.

"Jungkook?"

"Yeah?"

"I'm sorry, it's okay if you don't want to talk about it. I didn't mean to make you cry,"

I didn't even notice the tears rolling down my face.

"I was so scared, I thought I was going to die,"

Before I know it, I feel his arms around me.

I close my eyes the second I lose the feel of his arms.

"My parents, they didn't always treat me right,"

"How come? What did they do?"

"One day after school, I came home late. I was meeting up with my old friend Namjoon,"

"And?"

"And T-they."

"They what, Kook?"

"T-they l-locked me up in the basement for a week as punishment,"

"Oh Kook, I'm so sorry,"

"Then they opened the door and let me out. I was very hungry, thirsty, and angry. I had nothing to eat or drink for the whole week when I was in that basement. So when I came out, I-"

"You lost control? Which caused you to eat them?" He finishes my sentence.

"Yes,"

"I tried to stop, but I just couldn't. The police never found out who did it. They were convinced that a wild animal broke into the house and ate my parents,"

 They were convinced that a wild animal broke into the house and ate my parents,"

"Do you, uhm. Do you still eat humans?" He asks me.

"I have eaten two humans after the incident. For now, I try to eat bunnies to stop my hunger. But I'm not human anymore,"

"Then what are you?" He frowns.

"I have no idea. Ever since that day, my heart stopped beating. I don't know what I am,"

"Is your home situation stable now?"

"Not really, I visit my grandma every Wednesday after work. Besides that, I live with my older brother now. He hates me, which is understandable," I bite my lip.

"I have some clothes you can borrow. I have a guest room too. My parents are gone for the weekend. You can stay here,"

"No Jimin,"

"What do you mean, no?"

"I'm not going to let you sleep with a cannibal,"

"You are not a cannibal, you're my best friend. You'll always be my best friend," He says before walking up the stairs. I slowly follow him.

"It's 9h08, time to call her," He teases as he punches my shoulder playfully.

I can't understand and I don't think I will ever understand how he can just act as if nothing happened. People like Jimin are just far too good for this world.

"Hey, we'll figure out what you are, okay? We're in this together now. I've seen the way you look at her. So just give her a call. I'll be quiet as if I'm not here, I promise," He smiles.

"Jimin, I can't have us both be in this together. Everything I do ends in a bloodbath," I sigh.

"Then I guess it's time for both of us to learn how to swim,"

It's impossible to win this discussion. I'm afraid I'll have to agree.

"Fine, we're in this together," I sigh.

"So call?"

"Yes, Jimin. Let's call her," I smile softly.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Jimin, can you please stop jumping around for just one second?!"

"How? This is too exciting! Aren't you excited?"

"Excited? No, more like terrified," I sigh deeply.

"Don't worry, it will be great,"

"But what if I say something wrong?"

"You won't, trust me,"

"Okay, fine,"

My sweaty thumb clicks on call and beeps start filling the room.

"I'm calling. Jimin, I'm calling. Oh my god!" I exclaim.

I shake my head when I see him winking at me.

My eyes widen when I don't hear the next beep.

She picked up.

"Hello?"

Next chapter this Thursday