Chapter 36

It was only once he was on his own, he looked at his phone, seeing the name of one of his friends from back in high school.

"Caleb?"

"Sorry, did I call at a bad time?"

"No, no, not at all. I'm on my lunch break actually. Did you need something?"

The man on the other side of the call hummed lightly, trying to gather his words to say what he wanted to, no matter how hard it would be.

Henry couldn't sense the tense feeling over the phone, innocently wondering what his old classmate had wanted. Caleb Shard had been one of the few people who hadn't popped up after the live stream last week. However, he was someone the man trusted as a friend; thought the years he had been one of the few to stay true to him. Of course, Henry was friendly with everyone he had gone to school with, but there were only a handful who he would consider close on his return from university, Caleb being one of them.

Henry had a tentative sigh, starting to wonder as the silence, grew longer than a few seconds. However, he did not have to wait much longer to find out.

"I have to tell you something. Honestly, I was just going to send you a message, but after some thinking, it was too much of a dick move. Our friendship was worth more than that. And I don't think I can tell you this in person either, not face to face. So it took a while, but, yeah, um... I don't think we can be friends anymore."

The young Reyes's features froze over once again, but this time the complicated feeling was much worse because he suddenly felt like he had lost his language abilities, or perhaps his comprehension. He must have lost some ability because he can't have been hearing right.

"No, I don't think it, I know it. I'm really sorry, Henry, but we really can't continue to be friends."

"Huh?"

Hearing the meek response, Caleb found himself throwing his head back. This had been harder than he thought it would have been. He knew he was hurting someone who he had considered a friend for half his life, and that really did hurt him. However the man was strong on his resolve and ethics. On top of that, he had always been an upfront and direct person.

It had gotten on many people's nerves and one of the things he admired most of Henry Reyes was that, from a young age and despite of his luxurious background, he knew how to take criticism and disagreement head on. It had been one of the biggest reasons he had stayed friends with Henry so long, most had gotten tired of it eventually, but Henry just accepted it as a part of the man's personality.

The man felt hypocritical with his actions, Henry's acceptance had played a big part in his life, but he also knew himself. So even if it was painful, and most definitely a horrible thing to someone he considered a friend, he had to say it.

"I will be honest with you, I really can't support your relationship with Joshua Lore, or with any man. You are your own person and should do whatever you feel is right. But I also can't deny the fact that I can't support you, or the fact this does completely change our friendship to me. It isn't that I am angry that you hid something so big, that is your own decision, and I'm not using this as an excuse because I am tired. I just really can't support you.

"And as someone who was friends with you for so long, I want you to continue with your life as it is and do whatever makes you happy. But, as my own person, I'm sorry that I am going to be so upfront about it, but I don't want you in my life.

"I wish you and your fiancé the best, but I am going to cut off all connections I have to you, so please do not contact me again. Goodbye, Henry."