Chapter 41

Henry and Joshua were sat outside in the mild evening air, a laptop, fours cans of beer and an ashtray between them.

After the embarrassing event at the end of dinner, the two escaped as quickly as they could – which was not fast considering their injuries – to the extravagant garden that surrounded the estate. On their way, Joshua had asked for the things presented in front of them as well as two packs of cigarettes.

Now, half an hour and more than half a pack later, they had finished updating Gin on video call, faces still blaring red. All they could do was sheepishly watch as the man on the screen howled with laughter, wishing he could have been there himself.

They had sat quite some way from the house, allowing them to speak freely.

"I can't believe you two were worried people wouldn't believe you! You act more like a couple than me and my girl! What I'd pay to see their faces! Oh my god, you two are insane!" Gin really had no intention in letting this go for the rest of their lives. He didn't know just how much dumber the two could make each other but he was raring to find out.

It took him a full five minutes of laughing by himself for him to calm down enough to properly discuss things. Even then, every so often he'd hiccup, holding back a laugh.

Henry could only hide his face while drinking, knowing that most of the blame lay with him. If he was going to be brave, he should have just stayed brave. There was no need for him to spout that it was Joshua's wish. While, in theory, not only was it true and helped establish their fake relationship further, it was just too embarrassing a moment.

Once things calmed down, Gin put on a serious expression. He suddenly remembered what had happened before the recount of events became a comedy. "Henry, you absolutely certain you don't want me to fuck up Caleb? Cause I can do it. Literally right now while talking to you."

Joshua watched as Henry's face dropped slightly, amazed at how quickly he then proceeded to pick himself up with a sad smile.

The blond man shook his head. "No. Don't do anything to Caleb."

Both Joshua and Gin had come to realise just what Henry would mean when he said that. If it had been anyone else to have hurt him like that, he would have allowed those close to him to exact their own revenge. But it was because it had been Caleb that he was strict on the no retaliation. Of course, one could not have but wonder if someone who had less of a standing in Henry's heart would be capable of hurting him to the extent where he would want revenge.

"I don't get it. He can't fight back; he can't ruin you. Why wouldn't you wanna get your own back."

"Like you said, Gin, you don't get it. He was my best friend. He didn't want to insult me, didn't wish ill on me, didn't try to humiliate me, was upfront about how he felt about things. Don't get me wrong, I am so pissed because he knew what he said would hurt me. But I can't get mad at his opinions, especially when he told it to me straight like that. I'm angry and it hurts, but I can't hate him for being honest."

As Gin kissed his teeth in disapproval, Joshua took a drag of his dwindling cigarette, using his hand to hide his own expression. Now that he had had time to think about it, he couldn't help but feel Henry was being too kind. In fact, he was starting to find himself agreeing with Caroline, Samuel and Gin's sentiments of revenge. How could he not after watching the Henry cry for over an hour just because of this one man's words. This Caleb had hurt him to such an extent all because he thinks Henry is gay, what was the need to be kind to him. The entire thing felt like a sham.

"Anyway, forget that."

Even if Joshua was hiding it, Henry could easily sense his disapproval; Gin, of course, had it pasted on his face. He wanted to move on from the sour topic as quick as possible.