1.

Carter in the MM

Carter in the MM.

Carter Michaels, 24

"You see, black people were never free in the first place. We allowed ourselves to think that we were because they'd finally gave us our freedom after years of enslavement and dishonor."

"And no, we didn't question it—"

"-why?"

"Because we were just happy to be freed. We wanted freedom and finally obtained it." My A.A history professor went on, looking around the class.

"But in the great words of brother, Malcolm X.."

"Freedom cannot be given, it has to be taken."

"And until, we, as the people. We, as the community, gain the courage to fight in the only language the enemy knows, we'll continue to be modernly enslaved not only physically now but mentally as well."

"Take that with you brothers and sisters. That's the end of class today."

"I hope you will take this message and apply it to your lives." He spoke, dismissing us as everybody stood to their feet.

"Got damn." I couldn't help but to say as I looked down, taking in every word with a smirk upon my face.

This was one of my favorite classes and this was the exact reason why.

Professor Adams always kept it real.

Slowly I stood to my feet as the majority of my class began to disperse. I put the rest of my books inside of my bag before I prepared myself to leave too. As I did, I made my way to the front of the class, accidentally bumping into someone.

"Come on! What the fuck?" She stressed as I made the mistake of knocking her books out of her hand.

"My apologies, ma." I told her, bending down to pick up her books but she'd already nudged me out of the way so that she could get them herself.

"Why don't you just watch where the hell you're going?" She spoke in an upset tone as I looked over her dark-brown face.

Saying nothing else, she stormed away from me as I shook my head, looking up at Professor Adams. He just smiled small as I made my way up toward his desk.

"Fiesty one, huh?" He chuckled as I dabbed him up.

Scoffing at the situation, I simply shrugged it off, not even letting it get to me. That was nothing new with the women in this school.

"Ain't nothing I can't handle, man." I expressed and he simply nodded with a slight chuckle.

"How are you though, son?"

"I see you're still at the top of the class. Valedictorian for graduation?" He asked hopeful and I nodded with a smirk.

"It's looking like it." I shrugged.