10.

Carter
Later that day
12pm

"So how'd everything go with Kai?"

"Were you able to make things right with her?" Kate asked as I pulled up to her house to drop her off.

It'd been a long day for me with my aching back, classes that seemed to go on forever and thoughts that never left my mind about how tonight would go with Kai.

"I feel really bad that it even went that far. I never meant to make her feel uncomfortable around her own friends and family."

"Plus I know, me being white and all, just trying to enter a friend group of all black people might seem weird." She went on, talking about the events from yesterday.

"Nah, K."

"It's cool, it's not even like that." I shook my head, trying to reassure her.

"I didn't fully fix things with her yet but I'm hoping to tonight."

"It's not even about you. I think it's more so some shit just between me and her that need to be resolved." I explained to her, thinking about all of the things that I had plans for us tonight.

"I mean.."

"I like Kai, I always have. I think she's a beautiful girl and I feel like she might think the same about me but she just be fuckin-" I started but stopped, watching my words and calming myself down.

"The only reason I've never engaged with her is because she always be standoffish with me and I figured she just wasn't interested so I left it alone."

"But now I realized that all of that attitude and stubborn shit was just a defense mechanism."

"Since you saw how mad she was when she thought me and you were together." I continued on.

"Yeah, I get that." She nodded slowly.

"That's how most of us girls are with guys that we aren't sure of. It isn't just you, trust me." She explained with a smile while I nodded.

"Yeah, I know." I scoffed.

"Women." I mumbled, shaking my head at the thought.

"But I just want to say that I'm really sorry for all this chaos and confusion, Carter. That was never my intent."

"Nah, ma."

"I actually feel like this needed to happen." I clarified.

"Everything has a purpose, you know?" I expressed, looking straight ahead as she watched me closely.

"I never knew why she was always so rude and distant with me while her sisters were the complete opposite but now I understand it all." I nodded slowly.

"And now I'm going to make shit right and I don't give a fuck what she say." I spoke seriously, watching as she smiled.

"Well.." She trailed off.

"I really hope you can make it work with her and I also hope that we could all try to be friends one day."

"Because I don't have many friends since I've just transferred schools and being in a new place.."

"I just really like you, Ferrow and Mel and I would love to get to know Kai as well." She expressed desperately.

"Nah, of course." I furrowed my eyebrows with a slight nod.

"I don't care about color and neither does Kai or her sisters. Kai's just in her feelings right now but I'm going to fix all of that tonight."

"And once I do, I'll put in a good word for you, ma."

"I promise." I expressed to her and she chuckled lightly.

"Cool." She smiled.

"So where is it again that you're going to take her?" She spoke slickly and I shook my head.

"Nah."

"I can't tell you."

"You might go back and tell them."

"You know that girl power stuff.." I trailed off, putting my fist in the air.

Shaking her head with a small smile, she began to get out of the car.

"Alright. Well let me know how it goes. I really hope for the best for you two."

"Thanks, K."

"I appreciate' it." I expressed to her with sincerity.

"Anytime, Carter. See ya."

"See ya, ma."

*

Kai
5pm

Walking into the house, I placed my keys in the key bowl before making my way up to my room.

"Kai, that's you?" Mel called from her room.

"Yeah."

"Where are you coming from?" She spoke being nosey.

"I just got back from seeing mom." I told her as I walked passed her room and walked into mine, closing the door behind me.

Plopping down onto my bed face first, I laid there for a while before my room's door opened again.

"How was she?" Mel asked.

"She's fine."

"You should've came, she said she wants to see y'all." I spoke into my pillows with no desire to get up.

"Good because I'm going there tomorrow." She spoke, making me turn around to look at her.

"Why didn't you go today?" I raised an eyebrow.

"Girl, I was busy.."

"Mmhm. Whatever, hoe." I challenged, making her laugh.

"Okay since you want to be in my business, why aren't you getting ready for your date tonight?" She went onto say, making me slickly roll my eyes.

"First of all, it's not a date. Thank you." I dismissed her while she tooted her lips.

"Well I hope you're doing something to that head." She taunted before walking out and I threw up my middle finger while she did.

Sitting there a while, I began to think about what'd been on my mind since last night. Yes, I'd made up my mind to allow Carter to take me out tonight but the things he said to me yesterday and last night still sat freshly on my brain.

Lifting up from my bed, I looked at myself in the floor length mirror. I knew I needed to do something to my hair but I just wasn't sure what as yet. I didn't know what kind of "event" this would be.

Plus I didn't know what to wear with a guy like him. He wasn't just a regular guy from my hood, so I wasn't sure what he liked.

I didn't know if I could be my regular self and dress like a bad bitch, or a stripper, as my Mel would say or if I had to dim myself down to be the type of girl that he probably liked.

Long sleeves, long pants and button down shirts, like the white girl he was with.

I can't do this. Was all I thought to myself.

I didn't want to change myself but now I felt like I had to.

Just to go on a date with him.

*

Thoughts?

Concerns?

Should Kai change herself or her appearance? 🤔

*