III

"Jay, I'm gonna head out to the home improvement store, to choose the new tile and paint for our bathroom!"

Right now I was in my daughter's bedroom, putting on my sneakers getting ready to head out. Apparently, Jay is tired of the theme of our bathroom because it's really plain. He knows I've got good taste with design so I told him I'd do it myself. He insisted on a helping crew, there was no way I could deny it. I knew I'd need some help, but not too much. I'm a strong independent black woman. I don't need shit from a man.

"Okay, Lefty is with me. Remember I have an appearance to make tonight nine o'clock at Kanye's show. If you wanna come, you gotta call Irene." He came into view holding Blue, as I was grabbing my sack and my car keys ready to head to the local Home Depot.

I nodded putting on my wind breaker, tightening the elastic on the matching pants it came with. My hair was a hot mess, I didn't get a chance to tame it this morning. But, do I care. Not really, it's the middle of May and it's still chilly which is rare. California weather is so bipolar. Stepping outside to our parking lot, my ebony black Range Rover chirped. I hopped in, making sure to check my mirrors and buckling up before I headed out of my gate.

This would be the first time I did a do it yourself project with housing. I was a little nervous because I didn't want to make a fool of myself, and I didn't want to potentially hurt myself trying new things that could be dangerous. I was always a dare devil at heart, but now that I'm a grown ass woman I can't play foolish games. Come to think about it, I never did.

Pulling in the lot of the Home Depot store, I checked my phone for the time. 4:17. Good, I had lead way to think, browse and maybe even get inspired. Hopping out, I pressed the button to the alarm. Finally making it into the store I could smell the aroma of home appliances.

"Welcome to Home Depot Beyoncé, is there anything you need help with looking for?" A worker here, by the name of Danielle spoke to me in her uniform.

I totally forget that I am who I am sometimes. Especially when it comes to being out in public, I want to feel normal. It's been over ten years and I'm still not used to everyone knowing my name. I'm actually pretty shocked that the media wasn't around. But then again they're always watching. I shook my head no, walking in the direction of bathroom appliance. Strolling casually, I got a few stares, boys whistling at me, some even took photos. But, that's the price of fame.

When I got over to the bathroom section of Home Depot, I began rummaging along shower/bath set ups. Ranging from a jacuzzi tub, to a stand-in shower. We would be needing both. I prefer baths most of the time because it's relaxing but never have the time to. Meanwhile Jay prefers straight to the point showers. We make it work though. I didn't know what I wanted the color scheme of our bathroom to be, so I couldn't choose the shower until I chose the tile. Damn, this is harder than I thought. Walking towards the mid-back of Home Depot, I made a left to the time aisle.

"Tile for a bathroom, hmm.." Unconsciously tapping my finger on my lips as I looked at the different types.

"The granite is nice for bathroom counters and it compliments the marble if you were to do your flooring and showering that way. Or you could just go solid with either but, that's just my take on it." A familiar masculine voice spoke in a distance from me. The twang to his voice sounded so familiar. It was almost unforgettable.

Looking up to my left I saw him. His hair, had grown into a very short curly mess since the last time I saw him. Where it was clean cut. He smirked at me and I chuckled lightly. He walked over to me swiftly.

"It's nice to see you again Mrs. Carter."

I nodded at him,

"Same to you Mr. Brown."