beyond the letters: one

a lot of reading

"Aiko are you sure? She's gonna die as soon as she finds out he's read them." Kaito's voice was quiet, clearly nervous.

"Of course I'm sure. I've had to watch her tear herself up over this boy for three years, and every single thing that she needs to say to him is in these letters. She isn't going to tell him herself, so we're gonna let them do it for her." Aiko gave a small smile and let out a sigh, looking down at the slightly battered box in her hands. "Y/N works so hard for her family. She's been so helpful to me, you, and the boys these past years Kaito. It's time we help her out too. She deserves her happy ending with that redhead doofus."

"Wow, you're a really good friend, you know that, Aiko?" Kaito looked up at her upperclassmen.

"Thanks." Aiko nodded, trying to not show the uncertainty in her. Truth is, Y/N would be furious with her. Aiko was the one person she entrusted with the knowledge of the 30 letters in the box she was holding, and even then, Aiko only knew because she accidentally stumbled across them in their dorm. So, she really had no idea how Y/N would react when she finds out she gave them to Tendou, but she mostly figured it would be anger.

But that isn't the point. She knows how much Y/N likes Tendou, and she knows how confused he is about their connection. It's been made clear multiple times that Tendou has feelings for Y/N, but he would do anything because he feels like she hates him. That's why Aiko is doing this.

She is here to clear up the misconceptions. To get her best friend her happy ending.

And that is exactly what she's going to do.

Aiko was cut out of her thoughts when Kaito spoke up. "This is it right?"

Aiko looked up at the door in the boys dormitory that read "217". "Yeah, this is it. Ushijima is normally still in the gym  and Tendou should be back by now." She confirmed, ignoring how hard her heart was beating in her chest.

Kaito's fist was raised, a few inches from the door before it quickly swung open.

There he stood. The middle blocker that managed to steal the heart of Y/N L/N.

"Hello ladies, it's a pleasure to see you, and as much as I love surprise visits, shouldn't you be packing Aiko? And why aren't you in class Kaito?" Tendou questions.

"I'm on break right now, plus some of the homeroom teachers are letting the second years out to watch the graduation as long as they are ahead." Kaito speaks up.

"I'm already packed up, I just had to bring something over. Mind if we come in, you might want to sit down." Aiko spoked, walking into the boys room. It wasn't technically allowed, but within their friend group they've broken that rule so many times. Most of the time they forget it's even a rule at all.

The three students walked further into the room, where Tendou sat down in a chair at the desk in the corner.

"Mind telling me what this is about? You guys are kinda freaking me out.." Tendou spoke up, slightly nervous.

"I see you're already packed up. Good, that means you have time to read these." AIko spoke, placing the smaller box in front of Tendou on the desk.

"What is this?" The boy asked, inspecting the box in front of him.

"30 letters. Written to you, from Y/N." Kaito answered.

"30?! That's a lot! What are they even about?" Tendou asked, his voice sounding a bit frantic.

"Well actually, there's 31 including letter 0, but don't worry. None of them are that long." Akio tried to calm him down.

"You still haven't told me what they're about though." He spoke up again, still sounding uncertain, but not as shaky as before.

"I think it's best if you figure that out yourself. Our job was just to deliver them." Kaito answered, letting out a sigh.

"Now, Tendou. Like I said before, 31 letters. Each one of them is numbered, so read them in order. Me and Kaito are going to help you put them in order, then we're leaving you to read them alone. How you react is up to you, but dont do anything stupid, 'kay?" Aiko explained, pulling the lid off of the box containing the letters.

Everyone put their hands into the box, pulling out the letters until the box was empty. The process was easy enough, just finding certain letters and stacking them in order. It was finished almost as soon as it started, and the two girls were on their way out before they heard Tendou speak up.

"Hey Kaito, I thought you said they stopped after 30?"

"They do. I've seen Y/N put letters in this box every time she wrote one since I found out about them in first year. Plus, she normally tells me when she writes one." Aiko spoke up, confusion evident in her voice.

"So...what's this?" Tendou asks, holding up an envelope. This particular envelope was a bit bigger, and a soft pink compared to the other white ones. In the middle, in the big loopy handwriting everyone could trace back to Y/N, "31 reasons" was written, the 31 underlined multiple times.

"How didn't we see this one?" Kaito questioned, furrowing her eyebrows.

"It was stuck in the top of the box, it fell out when I went to move it." Tendou explained, lifting up the top of the box to show the girls.

"Ah, well I guess that's just one more letter for you to read Tendou, better get started. Don't want to be late for your own graduation right?" Aiko laughs a bit, walking out of the dorm, trying her best to push the large amount of anxiety in her away.

"Ha-Ha." Tendou replied dryly, sitting back down at his desk to open the first letter and get started.

"letter zero: an explanation"

It took him about 10 minutes to comprehend what the letter said.

Y/N? Liked him? For real?

Wow.

After a while of just taking it in, he continued with the letters.

One by one, reading each reason, each letter.

He wasn't mad, thats for sure. He was more happy than anything, but he also kind of felt bad. He couldn't imagine how hard the last 3 years had been for her. He couldn't understand what Y/N was dealing with, being torn between him and helping her family, but he knew it must've been rough.

He tore through the letters, eating up every single one of them. He couldn't get enough. He loved the short little things, and even re-read some once or twice (He definitely didn't, I repeat didn't, read letter 28 like 5 times. No, he didn't do that.).

Nothing made his jaw drop like letter 31 though.

After reading 31 through a couple more times, Tendou rummaged through his bag, finding what he needed.

Next thing he knew, his pen was on the paper and the past 3 years of bottled up feelings for this girl were following out.

"To: Y/N"