Preface

Unknown POV

Screams.

Screams filled with agony filled the forest. The fires leapt up from one tree to another, competing with each other on who was faster. People were everywhere. Some fighting, some running, and some burning.

Thought about the origin of this chaos kept surfacing my mind. What was going on? Why is there fire? Why is everyone running and fighting?

"Mom, what is going on? I'm scared" I asked the middle aged woman next to me, seeing all the chaos through the glass window.

Bang! Bang! Bang! . . . Someone was banging on the door.

She came close to me and her knees reached for the floor. Her soft hands reached up to caress my cheeks gently.

"Listen, honey! I need you to go with auntie Jane. She will take you to a safe place until all of this chaos settles, okay?", she asked me in a rushed tone.

"Mom, you're not coming with me?" My beating heart was so loud that I thought it would jump out of my chest.

"I need to help you father here. Now hurry up, I can't afford to get you hurt, honey," she said as she got up onto her feet, and took me by my hand, to the young lady near my bed.

"And one more thing," she said as she stopped her steps and took off the chain that clung to her neck and clipped it around my neck, "I want you to remember and keep this pendant with you. If something happens and I am not with you, this will remind you that I am always watching over you," she said with a bitter smile.

Bang! Bang! Bang! . . .

In a hushed tone, she spoke with Jane. "Jane, you know we are under a huge attack, so I need you to take the princess out of here. Half of the guards will come with you . . . ".

Everything had become a blur to me, as I was dragged through the secret passage behind the huge book case in the room. A few soldiers, who were with us in the room earlier, were in front of me and auntie Jane, and a few soldiers behind us.

Soon, we were running deep into the forest, with dark figures trailing behind us. The soft crunch sound of the dry, brown leaves was dominated by the screams and the chaos.

Thud.

I looked behind to see a soldier on the ground with a small shiny needle stuck in his neck. Auntie Jane also noticed it. Her forehead covered with sweat and wrinkles. A look of revulsion decorated her delicate features.

"Wolfsbane," she whispered through gritted teeth.

Time flew by as the soldiers dropped to the ground, one after another. The dark figures lurked up to us, surrounding us. They were huge in number and diversity. Some were humans with a gun-like object, probably used to shoot the needles. They wore black masks to hide their dangerous faces. The rest of the group were wolves of various different ranks and colors.

"Get the girl!" One of them commanded. Looking closely at the man, all I could see was the outline of his figure. He wore a dark cloak, seemingly black. The shadow of his hood kept his face a secret. Another man came close to me, but auntie Jane pulled me behind her.

"I won't let you take her," she said. I couldn't see her face, but I felt her eyes brimming with tears.

"Oh really? Are you sure about that young lady?" he asked, aiming his gun with the needle loaded directly at auntie Jane.

There was a soft bang heard as auntie Jane fell on her knees, making contact with the dry leaves on the forest floor. The needle sticking out from her left hand. The hand that held mine tight without still not letting go . . .

😊I hope you like this part. I will upload the next part soon. (-Mystery Writer😊)