Cleril

I'm neutral with this ship.

I don't hate it, but at the same time, I am not a fan.

It is extremely one-sided, and also a bit unhealthy. In the first book, Peril went to the lengths of betraying Clay and his friends, just so he could stay and be with her. She didn't take Clay's friends into consideration, to the point where Clay had to persuade her to help them.

That's not love, that's borderline obsession.

Yes, I know Clay was the first dragon to show remorse to her, and I know that she has grown into a better person now. But, let me make one thing clear.

To me, Peril's feelings about Clay aren't cute. She is willing to drop everything for him, like he's some kind of deity. She's willing to commit murder for him!

Look, I know she's a fictional character, but try imagining a person in real life, acting the way Peril acts around Clay. Would you find that cute?

No! You would find it creepy, and immediately dial 911. Because that person's obviously a stalker.

Again, I know it's all fictional, and most of us acknowledge what's toxic or not. But, am I suppose to read about Peril's creepy obsession and think: "Yep, this is how functional relationships work."

I'm not saying Cleril is harmful, but it definitely doesn't send a good message about healthy relationships.

Now for Clay. Honestly, I headcanon him as aro or ace, since he showed no romantic interest for Peril. Sure he was nice to her and defended her, but he would do the same to anyone willing to be his friend. It is almost impossible, to tell if he thinks of Peril as a friend or a love interest.

Also, in Book 8, am I the only one who found Peril's constant thoughts about Clay extremely annoying?

Pros: I suppose it has potential, if both sides have the equal level of feelings for each other. I'm glad they didn't immediately get together by the end of the second arc, since Peril still needs to pay attention to her self worth. And, she did save Clay's life, so I'll give points for that.

Cons: I don't know about the future, but for now, it is one-sided. Peril's obsession, and Clay's obliviousness to it all, is not a good foundation for a relationship. What if Clay chose another dragon over her? I assure you that would be utter chaos. No offense, but Cleril makes me uncomfortable, because it's similar to a toxic relationship, and it's presented as something healthy, but it's really not.

 No offense, but Cleril makes me uncomfortable, because it's similar to a toxic relationship, and it's presented as something healthy, but it's really not