four

wei wuxian.

•🌿-🌿-🌿•

I slowly tiptoe to the living room. Please don't be anybody there. Please. I peek from the corner and see the living room is empty.

I sigh out loud, " Thank god. "

" Thank Him for what exactly? ", Mom voices out behind me making me jump in surprise.

" M-Mom.. ", I stammer.

" Where have you been hah? Wei Wuxian? ", Crap, you know you're dead if your mother refers you by your full name.

" Umm.. It's a long story.. ", I awkwardly scratch the back of my head.

" Cut it short then. ", She glares at me, crossing her arms.

I avert my gaze from her. Asian moms are so scary.

" I went out to buy an ice-cream. Then I saw a boy run to Uncle Qiren's house so I went after him. Wolf ended up chasing the two of us. In the act, I scraped my elbow and stepped on broken glass. The boy treated my wound and I ran back here after realising it was already past lunchtime. ", I explained to her in detail.

I slowly look at the ground, " I'm sorry. "

I feel a pat on my head and look up, " Silly boy. ", She has a small smile on her face. " It's good to help people but you have to look out for yourself too. ", I smile at her, thank goodness she's not mad.

" I've heated up today's lunch, it's on the table. ", She stands up straight and walks towards the drawer where dad keeps the first aid kit. " Go eat up first, after that I'll take a look at that wound of yours. "

I grin at her, " Thanks mom! "

I look around and frown, " Where's A-Cheng and jiejie? ", I ask, searching for them.

" Dad took them out for grocery shopping. ", Mom states, searching for the box.

" Again?? ", I sigh frustratedly.

" I never knew that you liked grocery shopping. You always refused to go with me. ", She looks at me from the corner of her eyes.

" I don't. ", I huff. I only like going out for groceries with dad because he'll let us choose any snack we want after we finished shopping.

I fix my gaze on the foods on the table and my mouth waters. A smile makes itsway to my lips. Well, at least all this food on the table is now mine right?

- 🌿 the Lan's household 🌿 -

" You surely didn't see him walk away? ", Mr. Lan asks, with worry very much evident in his voice, to the workers that had helped him carry the various boxes.

" I'm sorry, sir. But, no. ", The man from earlier replies defeatedly. He had help the others to search for his son around the house. No sign of him anywhere.

" Ah.. ", His face pales, " I-I I'm gonna file a police report. ", Mr. Lan shakily grabs his phone from his pocket.

" No need to be so dramatic, dad. "

Mr. Lan quickly turns his head towards the direction of the voice. Relief is written all over his face when he saw his stubborn child calmly walking towards him.

" I'm glad you've found him, sir. If you'll excuse me, I'll- I mean we'll be on our way now. ", He smiles politely.

" Thank you so much for helping me. I haven't quite got your name, young man. ", Mr. Lan says, rummaging through his briefcase and takes out a piece of paper. " The name is Damien. Damien Lan. Here's my business card. " He holds it out for the man.

The young worker shyly takes the card from the father's hand and averts his gaze from the latter, " Han Qing. But everyone calls me Qing. Feel free to call me anything you please. ", He beams.

" Qing is it then. ", The worker was about to open his mouth to reply when the child rudely interuppted them.

" I'm here. Don't forget I exist. ", the boy scoffs, crossing his arms. For an eleven years old, he certainly does not act like his age.

The worker turns beet red and scratches the back of his head, " I-I I probably need to get going. Have a good day, sir. ", He bows, then hurriedly walks towards the moving truck where his other coworkers are waiting.

" You do realize that you're flirting in front of your own son right, dad? ", the younger Lan scowls at the older man.

" Don't say it like that. You don't sound like an eleven years old at all. ", His father walks towards the boy.

He crouches down to the boy's height and grabs his shoulders on both sides protectively. " Where have you been? Do you know how worried I was? ", His father eyebrows crease into a guilty frown.

" I met a friend. ", The younger replies with a straight face. The father looks at his son with a shocked expression.

" Made a friend already? ", WangJi just replies with a nod. " Wow, that's so not like you. First, you want to go back to New York and now you're making a new friend already. In a short period at that. ", The father ruffles his son's locks proudly. " I'm glad you're getting use to living here, son. ", He smiles, but the younger still can see a glimpse of sadness on the older's face.

WangJi averts his father's eyes. The latter gently cups the former's cheek. " Son.. What's wr- "

" I miss mom. ", The boy cuts his father off. " " Why did she have to do that to us? ", The younger's voice cracks whilst looking at his father with teary eyes. He can see the sorrowful expression on his father's face. For an eleven years old, he rarely lets his guard down in front of his parent. This makes the father to crouch down in front of his son and wipe away the tears with his thumb.

" You silly boy. Strong boys don't cry. ", He says, causing the latter to start sobbing quietly. He engulfs the younger in a tight hug, " Wangji, listen here. ", His father begins, " As long as we have each other, we're gonna be okay. You understand, honey? ", His voice cracks slightly making him clear his throat and wipe the forming tears from his eyes.

The boy just nods. The father ruffles his son's locks and stands up straight.

" Good boy. Now let's check out our new home, shall we? ", He smiles to his son reassuringly. WangJi sighs mentally, giving his father a small smile.

This is a new start. A life without her in it.

Everything will be okay.

•🌿-🌿-🌿•

sorry if there are any mistakes. do point out!

once again, english is not my first language so bear with me and my ugly writing haha..

have a nice day and stay safe.

later,

©KEWLGHOST