Chapter 33: Story Time

Team RNJR and Qrow sat around a campfire. Qrow had just finished telling them about the maidens. Ryker was busy trying to make an antidote for Qrow's wound.

Qrow: Really, no questions?

Jaune: Of course we have questions. This is just a lot to take in.

Qrow: Right, sure.

Ruby: So, these maidens. They are powerful fighters that don't need dust to used magic.

Qrow: Yep.

Nora: And there are four of them?

Qrow: Always.

Ren: And whenever one of them dies... Their power transfers to someone, a female, that they care about?

Qrow: Yeah, whoever was in their thoughts last. Best to be it's someone who we can trust. Regardless, their souls become one. Combined, in a way.

Jaune: And that's what you were trying to do on Pyrrha. The night the tower fell.

Qrow: The previous Fall Maiden, Amber, had been attacked. Her assailant, Cinder, managed to take some of her power. But not all of it. If we didn't do something, the rest would go to her.

Jaune: So you forced it on Pyrrha.

Qrow: We didn't force her. Trust me kid, she wasn't even our first option.

Ruby: If it wasn't her... Then who was it?

Qrow: Try to guess.

Everyone pauses for a second to think of an answer until Ryker spoke up.

Ryker: *disoriented voice* Luna Schnee.

Qrow: Yeah. That's right.

The former students, except Ryker, were surprised to hear that Luna was the first candidate.

Nora: But why chose Pyrrha instead of her?

Qrow: Well, your white haired fox friend held a power equally powerful to the maidens. Maybe even more powerful than them.

Ryker: *disoriented voice* Her Zodiacs.

Qrow: Yeah. You seem to know so much about her.

Ryker stops what he was doing and sighs deeply. He removes his mask and his hood to reveal his face.

RNJR: Ryker Wells?!

Qrow: Well, I'll be. The famous Fallen Guardian is none other than a former member of Team SSNW. Who would've thought.

Ryker: Yeah well. I've changed. That old me is gone...

He wears his mask again but his voice changer was deactivated.

Ruby: Anyways... That guy, Tyrian. Why was he after me?

Qrow: Well, I did tell you that Silver Eyes are a rare trait. Not many people know about it. But those who do, aren't really happy and want to take you out. That's why I wanted to make sure that you're all okay.

Ruby: Well, why not just travel with us?

Jaune: He was using you as bait.

Qrow: It's not like that, it's complicated.

Jaune: What even is all of this?! Ruby is being hunted, the schools are being attacked, all for what?! Why won't you just tell us what's going on?!

Qrow: Sit down. You're stressing me out kid.

Jaune sits back down as Qrow stops from sipping his drink.

Qrow: Not many people are super religious these days. These world has been long enough that many people had started making their own gods. But according to Ozpin, two of them are actually really.