Chapter 5 Times fly by

The lake was shimmering over the landscape. It was very peaceful, the clouds on the sky looked like thick cottons, flying by one by one. Melissa was sitting on the edge of a huge rock wall. To the left was a small waterfall that carefully took its water down the edge where she was sitting. Her feet dangled over the edge while she listened to the waterfall, dripping its water into the big lake she had in front of her.

It had been one and a half year since she had lost her parents. One and a half year since she lost everything she loved. One and a half year since her dear parents got stolen away from her. That was still carving deep into her mind, everyday. She never spoke about her parents much to Sam or anyone, but she thought about them. Everyday. She had just turned seventeen and was still living with Sam who had became like family to her. She stayed at Sam's farm, and because of that, both of them had earned more money than before. Melissa usually sold eggs and milk and other value things that would interest people. She enjoyed her current life, but the miss of her parents would always remain deep into her heart and that night when she lost them, will forever be in her nightmares.

As she stood up from the edge, Melissa grabbed the bag beside her and the rod. Sam had taught her over the years how to fish properly and it seemed to work. She was still a very poor fisherwoman, yet, much better than before.

She grabbed her things and then mounted Belle who was standing further away, eating grass and enjoying the fresh air. She gave a little kick on Belle and started trotting home on the main road. She past beautiful forest and took a last glimpse of the big lake that had became her favorite spot to be. As she was getting closer and closer to town she rode by a forest that were pretty enough. But suddenly, a scream could be heard. A manly voice screamed for help deeper into the forest.

Melissa quickly stopped Belle and jumped down, she loaded her revolver, in case someone was just messing around and wanted to robe her, it wasn't the first time that had happened.

She followed the voice into the forest and when she reached the person who was screaming she noticed that he was stuck with his foot in a bear trap. The man looked up at Melissa with a painful face. He was a black man, with black straight hair and with very light brown eyes. He was wearing a white shirt with brown pants and some straps. He didn't look very old, maybe nineteen or twenty years old.

" Oh thank God Miss!" He said and touched his foot while making a painful expression. "You have to help me, please". His voice was soft and he was in real trouble. Melissa dropped the revolver in her holster she had around her blue dress she was wearing and then crouched down in front of the man.

" Don't worry, I'll get you out, if I only had clue how this thing worked." She said and inspected it.

" I think....I think you have to pull the two ends there." The man said while he gasped for air from the pain.

"Alright, I'll try, this might hurt a bit." She said while dragging the two ends.

The man screamed and kicked his other leg when Melissa dragged the two ends to get the trap off his foot. She dragged and eventually it got loose. The man fell back and laid himself on his back. He breathed out and made some painful grimes.

"Thank.....Thank you so much." He said, while catching his breath. 

" How did you even manage to get in there?"

He sat up and breathed out again while he painfully tried to touch his foot.

" Well I was chasing a rabbit and I didn't see the thing. They should set up signs or something, damn fools." He said and looked at Melissa.

Melissa looked straight into his eyes, they were very beautiful. He smiled at her and then made a painful noise once again.

"You need some help getting home?" She asked.