Chapter 6 When we meet again

Sheriff Hinton looked at Sam as he inspected the wanting poster on the wall. Sam grabbed the poster and laid it in front Sheriff Hinton. His eyes was eventful, like he couldn't wait to mount Bob and just get on with the hunting. Melissa was standing by the door further away. Her back tilted against the wall with her black hat and her blue dress that was her favorite, because of its comfy. She waited for Sam to be done. Sheriff Hinton sighed as he once again grabbed the poster from his table. Sam stood tiled over the table and looked hopeful at Sheriff Hinton. "I'm telling you Sheriff, I can do this, I'm the right man for the job." Sam said and looked at the poster. The poster contained a wanting for a Albert Finley, the prize was 50 dollars and Mr. Finley was wanted for selling a snake oil he said made people feel better, but in fact, the snake oil is killing people. The poster said that he was last seen near lake Granyon. Sheriff Hinton took off his brown hat while he scratched himself on his black beard. "I don't know Mr. Andrews, you're very new in this branch and this sort of hunting can and will be very dangerous. You must always be one step ahead of the criminal." Sheriff Hinton said as he lighted a cigarette.

Sam refused to give up, he wanted to prove his worth to Sheriff Hinton so he could be a lawman himself someday. Sam grabbed the poster on the desk again, rolled it and looked confident at Sheriff Hinton. "Then let me prove my worth to you sir. I assure you I'll bring him back, I don't even care about the money, I just want to do this." Sam said as he looked very confident. Sheriff Hinton was still not convinced.

" Mr. Andrews, you realize that you're going to head outside town all alone and hunt down a criminal that could kill you within a second? This job is only for the bravest of men." Sheriff Hinton said, while he blew some smoke. Melissa still stood tilted against the wall, watching Sam desperately trying to get the bounty, to prove his worth to Sheriff Hinton. She knew he wouldn't go alone because she would accompany him whether he liked it or not. But Melissa knew that Sheriff Hinton would never let Sam go with the bounty if she said that she would come as well. So, instead Melissa just stood in silence, pretended like she was just waiting on Sam.

"Yes I realize that Sheriff, and I'm prepared to give my own life to protect others." Sam said, while he took pride in his words. Sheriff Hinton sighed and stood up as he fixed his hat.

"Very well then, if you insist then off you go." Sheriff Hinton said and pointed towards the door. Sam smiled and packed the posted in his satchel. "You'll not be disappointed Sheriff, I'll bring him back." Sam said as he opened the door and walked out. Melissa followed as she nicely tilted her hat at Sheriff Hinton and nodded, goodbye. Outside, Sam packed his bags on Bob as he puts on his brown dusty hat and smiled to Melissa when she got down and packed her things on Belle.

"I'll probably be home late tonight then, you don't need to worry either, everything will be fine." He said and grabbed Bobs reins. Melissa grabbed Belles reins and looked suspicious at Sam. "I always worry." She said and Sam smiled and nodded. "That's why I'm also coming with you." She said and mounted Belle. Sam made a confused expression and then he chuckled a little.

"No you're not." He said and chuckled. "You don't think I'm serious?" Melissa asked surprised.

"Melissa, there's no way I'm bringing you along, do you know what Sheriff Hinton will do to me if he finds out I brought you along? Besides, I'm the one educating myself to a lawman, I'm not risking your life for that." Sam said as he mounted Bob. Melissa chuckled a little because she knew that no matter what Sam said, she would still tag along.

"Sorry partner, you can't talk yourself out of this."She said and gave a little kick on Belle, as she smiled and blinked her eye to Sam.

Sam sighed and rolled his eyes, but he knew that when Melissa decided for something, he couldn't make her change her mind, so he gave Bob a little kick and followed her. They rode outside town, towards lake Grayon where Mr. Finley last had been seen, selling his death trap. Sam was determined to catch the criminal and prove to Sheriff Hinton that he could complete dangerous works and save people from outlaws and criminals. He never wanted Melissa along, not because he don't like her, but because he cares about her and don't want her to get hurt. Melissa however, saw the hunting as an adventure, plus she didn't want Sam to go on his first real criminal hunt all by himself.