Chapter 9 A secret we never had

Sam had just came back from his trip to town. Apparently Sheriff Hinton's mood hadn't changed from how he had been a few days ago. It had been almost three days and he was still as he where that morning when he had tied James up. Sam was nervous and refused to tell Melissa what sort of discussion he and Sheriff Hinton had, and Sheriff Hinton had sent him further away again, to hunt down some criminal whose name was Peter Mackenzie, apparently he had been murdering people for the last few years and he had now been seen somewhere out of Colorado. Sam was packing his things on his saddle bag, looking utterly disappointed. He didn't seem happy. Probably because Sheriff Hinton had turned mighty strange towards him. Melissa was worried for him, not only because he wasn't acting like himself, but because he was going to hunt down a very dangerous criminal, although this time, another fellow lawman named John Wilkes would accompany Sam. It made Melissa slightly calmer about his trip, yet, she was scared to lose him like she had lost her dear parents.

Sam packed the last things on Bob and then looked at Melissa who looked at him with worried eyes. He smiled at her and gave her a heartwarming hug. Melissa closed her eyes as he hugged her. Begging that he would come back in one piece to her, she didn't even dare to think of what she would do if she lost him as well. "Don't worry, I'll be back in a few days." He said as he stopped hugging her and smiled.

"Just be careful, don't take any risks." Melissa said as Sam mounted Bob. "I won't. I'll send you a letter as soon as I can." He said. "I'll see you soon partner! Oh, and say hello to James from me." He said as he blinked his eye and rode away. Melissa smiled and waved at him, Sam knew that she would spend time with James when he was gone, who else would she be with? Sam and James were the only ones in this sad diluted town she actually wanted to spend time with. After Melissa lost sight of Sam she headed inside to grab her brown long coat and black hat. She was wearing her blue comfy dress as usual and her light brown hair fell perfectly as she laid the hat on her head. And of course, she had her holster with her revolver in it. When she had everything she needed she mounted Belle and headed for James cabin.

Today she thought of inviting James for a fishing trip. After all they hadn't seen each other for three days and now when she wasn't busy with all the farming work Sam usually laid on her, she could see James. She missed him, and was very excited to see him again. This time, Melissa had brought her own fishing rod, it was Sam's but seeing that he wouldn't be home for a few days she figured he wouldn't miss it very much. As she rode past the forest and past town, she reached James cabin. Still looking the same, beautiful and peaceful by the lake and the forest. She smiled as she saw his horse, Macain, outside. Indicating that he was home. She hitched Belle beside Macain as she knocked on the door. No one opened. She took a peek inside the windows but couldn't see no James. No footsteps could be heard from inside either. Melissa thought it was weird, Macain was home so why shouldn't James be home? She went around the cabin and headed towards his back yard where his smaller storage was. And there he was, sitting on the ground, trying to fix a fence that had been totally destroyed. Melissa looked at him as he swore and kicked the fence when it wouldn't stand as he liked. She laughed loudly and James suddenly noticed her.

"Is the fence upsetting you?" Melissa asked as she laughed and walked towards him.

A huge smile appeared on his face and he laughed as well.

"Melissa! What brings you here?" He asked. She shrouded her shoulders and smiled.

"I thought maybe you would like to head out on a fishing round, but you seem to be very busy." She said and pointed at the fence. "Well, some fellers came by yesterday night and destroyed it." Melissa inspected the face, shaking by the thought that someone would actually destroy something for others like this. "For real? Why would anyone do a thing like that?" Melissa asked surprised.