Chapter 28 Reality Check

I spent all of Saturday and Sunday in my room watching Netflix and eating food that wasn't good for me. This helped some, but I still didn't feel ok.

It was looking like an ordinary day until one of my teachers asked to see me after class. As everyone left the room I stayed behind to talk to him.

“Hey Mr. Harris, what’s up?”

“Well, I have noticed a change in mood from both you and Mr. Mays, and not a positive one.”

“I haven’t really talked to David or really seen him in a while, so I wouldn't know.”

“You see, that’s the thing. I’ve known you since you were a toddler, I’ve been your teacher for three years, and I know both of you very well. I also care about you guys deeply and that is why it pains me to see you two like this. I’m also not the only one who has noticed this, even the other teachers have started asking questions. David no longer walks the halls a cheerful guy, but he walks with his head down, he eats alone, and while he may still be showing up to class, mentally he’s not there. I’ve also noticed a change in you. You may be good at fooling some, but I can tell that you have not been happy. You may have a boyfriend now, but you lost a great friend. I know that this is not what you want to hear, but hey, I was once a kid too and I’ve learned from experience. You should look down deep and figure out what is really important. You’re a good kid, Alyssa and I know that you’ll do the right thing.” 

“I, uh. I didn’t realize that he was hurt so much too. Thanks Mr. Harris. It’s true, I haven't been happy and I’ve had no one to talk to. I used to talk to David and then once I had Andy I tried talking to him, but he never really seemed to help, so I stopped trying. I don’t know where to go from here, but now I have a lot to think about.”

That was a lot to take in, but I really needed to hear that. I knew that later that night I would have to work things out and figure out what I was going to do.

——————————————————————————————————————————

After school I had to set up for an event for prospective students. That meant that David had to be there as well. At first not a word was spoken and it was extremely awkward. It would be at least another hour before anyone showed up, and not being able to take it anymore I figured that it was as good of a time as any to try and talk. 

“David?”

“Ya?”

“Um, I talked to Mr. Harris today and he said that he noticed that you’ve been acting differently. Is everything okay?”

No reply.

“Uh, David? Are you going to say anything? Are you okay? David, please just say something. Tell me that you need me or that you hate me and never want to see me again. Please just say something, do something, get mad at me, walk away, I don't care what you do, but please for just once can you stop ignoring me and tell me how you really feel?” 

“Ok, Liss, the truth is that it hurts to be around you. It hurts because I know that I can’t have you. We were always together and I loved that. We would talk for hours, we could do anything and talk about anything with each other. When we worked together, we were always in sync and we never had to say a word because we both knew exactly what needed to be done. We didn't just work together in class, but we had plenty of fun outside of the classroom too. We used to play video games, take walks in the park, sing along to the radio, and my favorite was that we would talk for hours about nothing. I’ll never forget the first time that we stayed up talking all night.We had a connection and I thought that maybe you felt it too, but when Andy showed up again, everything changed. You didn’t follow through with your commitments an-.”

“That was one time, David, and it was an accident.”

“I’m not just talking about the day you forgot about the open house Liss, there were other times when I waited for you and you never showed up. I figured that you had more important things to do, and I stopped waiting for you. Others started to do the same as well, as you fell through on your commitments with them. You also dropped your friends. Not just me, but you barely talked to Trish or anyone else. You became someone your not, someone who abandoned everyone in your life for a guy that you hadn't seen in two years. When you’re with someone, they should change you for the better not for worse. I know that this isn't the easiest thing to hear, and believe me it’s just as hard to say, but I love you and care about you so it has to be said. I know you Liss, you’re not happy. You think that you’ve found your prince to sweep you off your feet, and you are enamored by shallow romantic acts.”

“Well who are you trying to say will make me happy? You? Maybe I am happy and maybe you’re just jealous. I thought that talking to you would help, but now I know that this was a mistake. Let’s finish setting up and then we can return to our separate lives.” 

As soon as I said that, I knew that I had made a mistake that I couldn’t take back. David wasn’t the first person to tell me what he did and that must have meant that it was warranted. I needed to do some serious soul searching. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Only two more parts to go. Thank you all soo much for reading my story and I hope that you have enjoyed it and I hope that you enjoy the finale. Please comment and ley me know what you think.