Chapter 30 Best Friends in Love

I can’t believe what just happened. I knew that I missed having David as a friend, but I never realized how I actually felt about him. All of the late nights, the projects, the good times, and the bad he was exactly what I wanted, what I needed. 

When I arrived at school I ran straight to his trig class. I saw him through the window and knew that it was now or never. I grabbed him and pulled him outside to talk.

“Ok, listen David before you say anything I have a lot that I need to say. First off, I am so sorry for the way that I have acted the last couple of months. You were right, I haven’t been acting myself and I needed to hear that. I didn't actually love Andy, but with the idea of having someone who loved me. I wa-.”

“But I di-.”

“Let me finish. Yes, you did and I never realized it. You didn't have to do fancy things, but you being you is what I love. You care for me and my actual happiness. You know me and understand me, but still love me anyway. I tried telling Andy that I wanted a friend first but he didn't want to be only my friend and said that maybe I should just get a best friend. It was then that I realized that I did have a best friend and that I loved him and wanted to be with him. That is if he still wants me?”

“Are you kidding me Liss, I would wait as long as I had to for you. I should be the one who’s sorry, I shouldn't have ignored you for so long. I tried several times to strike up the courage to tell you how I felt, but you were with Andy and you stopped talking to me too, and I thought that you didn't need me anymore.”

“I’ll always need you David. I truly love you and I know that it’s real. But let’s take it slow, huh?”

“Anything for you. But Liss, I have something to tell you. I wasn’t going to tell you, but since the situation has changed I can now.”

“Ok, go ahead.”

“I wasn’t exactly honest with you about why I avoided you for so long. The night of Trish’s party Andy came up to me and told me that I should stay away from you. He said that you had him now and you didn't need anyone else. I know that I shouldn't have let him scare me like that but he told me what would happen if I tried talking to you and I was terrified. Even the night of Sadies, I figured that he was trying to trick me and that’s why I didn't even look at you while we danced. I was being a total wimp and I should have just told you sooner, especially since it would have spared you pain. It did hurt being around you knowing that you couldn't feel the same way about me, but I would have rather suffered and been your friend than not have you in my life at all. It’s no secret that I love you Alyssa. All those days spent on the side of the school, in our spot, we shared a lot of memories. Liss, I got to know you for who you are. All of your amazing talents, your kind heart, your gentle spirit, your selflessness, and even your weird quirks. We were real with each other and the more I got to know you, the more I fell in love.”

I could have just kissed him right there, but I wanted to do things differently this time. Last time I let my heart deceive me into ignoring what my head had to say and I did what I normally never would have done. This time was different though because my head only confirmed how my heart already felt.

These last few months I had been fooling myself. I jumped into a relationship, that I thought I wanted, just because it appeared in front of me. I thought that Andy and I were best friends in love but we weren’t. We’d both changed but we both pretended like everything was the same, ignoring the signs. 

David is my best friend and it took me a while to realize it, but I love him. So I was right, I am in love with my best friend. 

The End

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And that is all she wrote. Thank you all for sticking with Andy, Alyssa, and David until the end. As always please comment and let me know what you think. Oh, and Merry Christmas!