Saturday Dinner

Zuko was waiting for Mai near the gates of the palace. Everything was ready for them to depart to her parent's house. He had prepared a carriage that would safely take them there. Mai had told him that she would quickly be there, as she first wanted to make sure she was dressed accordingly to her mother's standards, but it had been quite a while and there was no sign of her. Are we really going to be late? I'm the Fire Lord, for spirits sake, they'll eat me alive, he thought as he sat down on a bench near by. The anxiety of not knowing what would happen at the dinner was getting the best of him. He looked at the ground, exhausted from his own invasive thoughts. Just calm down, I'm sure it won't be nearly as problematic as you think.

When he finally lifted up his sight, he discovered Katara slowly making her way over there. What is she doing here? Zuko quickly recomposed himself. The girl was already smiling at him.

"Hey!" She sat down next to him. "You haven't left yet?"

He made a half smile. "No, not yet. I'm waiting for Mai, she should be here at any minute."

"Oh, I'm waiting too! For Aang, I mean." She explained.

Right, their cute little field trip. "So, you guys are actually going to Kirachu Island?"

Katara looked very confused. "What?"

Wait, she doesn't know? "Um, I-" Good job, now you've ruined Aang's plan. "Aren't you two going on a trip for the day?"

She stared at him for a second. "Yeah..." She sighed. "But I don't know where we are going, Aang said it was a surprise." Her look was half entertained and half serious.

Okay, I've definitely spoiled it, damn it. "Spirits, I'm so sorry!" His voice showed how nervous he had suddenly gotten. "I didn't mean to spoil the surprise. Please, pretend I didn't say anything."

Katara bursted into laughter, looking amused by his awkwardness.

"Zuko, relax, it's fine. I still have no idea how that island looks like or what's there." She hesitated for a bit before asking. "So, you knew about the plan?"

He doubted for a second. "Yeah, I told Aang it would be a cool spot to take you to." He admitted.

Her eyes widened when she heard that. "Oh, okay." He noticed her cheeks had turned a tad red. "Thanks, I guess."

"For what?" He wondered what could be going on inside her mind at the moment.

"For helping Aang plan the trip?" She seemed unsure. "I don't know, you tell me." She smiled despite the uncertainty that tinted her voice.

Zuko wasn't sure how to answer to that. Should I tell you how clearly in love with you Aang is? Or how strangely annoyed your little dates make me feel? He stared at his feet, moving them from side to side, as if they would give him the perfect response.

Luckily for him, Katara immediately spoke again.

"So... All ready for the big dinner?"

Oh, definitely not. "As ready as I can be. I don't even know why I'm so preoccupied about it, it's silly."

She looked at him in the gentlest way possible. "You shouldn't worry this much, really." She softly padded him in the back. "I think you are gonna do great in there. You'll dazzle them all, you'll see."

Zuko felt instantly electrified by her touch. It was as if every nerve of his body had reacted to that simple contact, that little warmth he was feeling on the back of his shoulder. Stay focused, just stay focused, he repeatedly told himself. Okay, but also say something. Anything, come on, just a couple words. What on earth is happening to me?