Sacred Image Of Lies

The light sound of the breeze echoed across the Royal Gardens. Clouds moved in the morning sky and were turned into brilliant white by a timid sun, leaving transitory patches of blue. There wasn't a considerable hint of grayness in the sky, though Zuko wouldn't be surprised if it happened to rain. The weather matching his now ever-changing and conflictive mood wouldn't be the strangest thing he had witnessed.

Hurrying up the pace, the Fire Lord sprinted to his office. He was eager to leave the meeting he'd just had behind, it wasn't that it had gone wrong or anything but his mind was all over the place. Managing ancient traditions with the Council of Elders required him to be grounded and attentive, two things Zuko wasn't feeling like at the moment. The urging task of facing his father prevented him from performing his political duties properly. He hadn't even spent forty-eight hours on his homeland, yet what he needed to do didn't feel like it could be delayed any longer.

When he sat down at his desk, still trying to look through some tax papers and make himself useful, his eyes lingered on the subtle light coming through the window. It was clearly mid-morning. Letting out a sigh, he surrendered to the fact that he would not get to talk to Katara until lunchtime, at the earliest. She had probably just started her meeting with Atkin and a couple of other advisors, to sort out the start of the International Collaboration. Certainly, that would keep her busy for a considerable amount of time.

They had arranged the time of the meeting the previous night, right before dinner. Though Zuko was aware that we most likely wouldn't be able to get there on time, a part of him knew his presence wasn't even needed. That assembly was for Katara to get the Collaboration on track, it was about her and the needs of her people. If he wanted his advisors to listen to her because of who she was and what she knew, then removing himself from the equation altogether didn't seem like a bad choice. He trusted both her judgment and the goodwill of his advisors. Katara was more than capable of standing up for her tribe's needs while he dealt with the Council of Elders. At least in that end, Zuko felt confident he had done the right thing.

What the Fire Lord felt more doubtful about was the annoying detail of how badly he wished to just get it over with; just talk to his father right there and then, no distractions or preambles. Despite his attempt to promise Katara of not doing it without her, an impulse to do exactly the opposite had taken over him. Perhaps facing his father on his own would be the best for everyone. Was there really a need to get Katara any more tangled into his mess? Ozai would only have horrible things to say, and probably a million ways to get the best of him. Did he actually want Katara to witness all that? To suffer the way he was suffering right now? No, that was the last thing Zuko wanted for her.

Then, for all he knew... The right move would be to face Ozai alone. A sting of guilt threatened to catch him, though he rapidly brushed it off. Katara didn't deserve to be mistreated by his bitter excuse of a father, and he hated the possibility of her seeing him any more worn out. Yes, he would do it on his own. If everything went right and he managed to get the information, then nobody would complain. And if things didn't work out properly... then he would try again. Again, again, and again. He had to.

It was decided. Promises aside, it was his burden to carry. Katara had done more than enough. This ordeal was one he would have to face on his own.

Blinking at the sunlight, Zuko realized it was now or never. He dropped the tax papers, straightened up on his seat, and resolved to just go for it. Nothing good would come from delaying the inevitable. With Katara busy at the meeting and Uncle in town until lunchtime, he had enough time to sneak out of the Palace and into the Capital City Prison.

Stepping out of his office, Zuko brushed away any remaining doubts. He was going to do whatever it might take to find his mother.

A few more steps and the Fire Lord would find himself face to face with the person who held his future in their hands. There was a certain irony at that moment, considering how terrified he had felt upon realizing his father was his only hope, though a rush of adrenaline and determination had taken over him. He took a deep breath; there was no room for hesitation, one slip up and his vulnerability would betray him. Feeling the air in and out of his lungs, he rounded up the necessary courage.