Chapter 23-Saying Goodbye

I help Thomas with the packing. There are some points of the process when I feel like screaming and smashing my head into the wall but I keep calm. I have one more day until he leaves. 24 hours. And every minute is going to tick past fast. Too fast. He told me he had to see his family so I spend that time with Brenda.
I walk round to the house she gave me the address too. It's big,much more posh and innocent than mine. With flowers in the perfectly bricked driveway. I knock on the door and a woman answers,tall with red curly hair,like one of those women from the 60's. At first I worry I've got the wrong house.
"You must be Emma," she says.
"Yeah," I reply.
"Brenda has told me so much about you,come in,come in!"
Brenda comes stomping down the stairs and crashes into my arms,hugging me tight. I hug her back as her mum looks so happy to see that her innocent daughter has made a friend.
"Can I get you girls anything?" She asks me and Brenda.
"No thanks mum," Brenda says "Come on!" She takes my hand and leads me up flights of stairs to her room. It's about the same size as mine with powder blue walls with white and pink furniture. She has a huge collection of books placed neatly on a shelf. She has fairy lights and sweet stuffed toys.
"I like your room," I say.
"Thanks!" She places a picture in a pink photo frame onto my lap.
"Who's this?"
"That's me when I was eight,my mum and my dad. He died when I was ten,"
"I'm so sorry...."
"It's okay. I loved him.but just because he's not with me in person doesn't mean he is gone. He's in my heart,and that's all that matters. It's the same for you and that Thomas boy,I mean I know he's not dead but still. You'll always have him in your heart and plus,you have Skype,letters and he'll sure visit. And then you can spend the rest of the time with me,"
"I guess so,"
"He'll always be there for you Em,like my dad and me,"
"Your so sweet,we are practically such different people,"
"No we're not. If anything our like my sister. Not my best friend,God made us best friends cuz he knows our parents couldn't handle us any other way,"

I just smile. I don't know what to do. Laugh or cry.

I knock at Thomas' door a little while later. He invites me in. We sit outside in his back garden. He has a pool and we sit on the side,dipping our feet in the water.
"Look Tom we can make this work," I tell him "We'll Skype,write and you can visit. You can stay with me,"
"I know that Emma but still," he says "I'm going to miss you,"
"Me too but it's okay,"
"I wanted to spend the rest of my life with you,"
"And you can. When you come back I'll be here,I'll won't forget you. How can I?"

We drive to the airport and I wait as his parents show their tickets and enter the corridor which leads to enter he plain. But Thomas holds back,he looks into my eyes which are filled with tears but I don't mind because that's the same as mine. I crash into his arms as we cry for what seems like forever until they call for his flight. He pulls away but I know he doesn't want to.
"Emma I love you," he says.
"I love you too Tom." I cry.
"Bye.."
And with that he walks away. And my world stops spinning.
"Emma?" A voice asks from behind me.

I flip round to see Alex. Sitting there in his chair.
"Alex? What are you doing here?"
"I thought you'd need the support,"
"How did you find me?"
"Brenda told me,come on. We're all outside in a taxi,"
"Okay,"

We walk out and I help Alex back into the taxi and I fold his wheelchair up and place it in the boot. I see Dylan,Will and Brenda. All kindly smiling at me. I smile back,even though I don't feel like it at all. I stay quiet throughout the journey,there's nothing I can or want to say. I imagine Thomas,sitting on that plane. Probably listening to Ed Sheeran I'm guessing,or Owl City,those were our favourite artists. See we had all these things in common-Our favourite movie was The Hunger Games,our favourite book was Horrid Henry,even though we were a little too grown up. But we still didn't care,we still watched it and knew the theme song off by heart. But even without that I still would be his best friend, when two people share a connection it's something you just can't ignore. Even if you try to. I can't imagine what life would've been without him. I can't think how different life would be if I never met the person who changed everything. I don't want to forget him,I want to miss him because with that it will show that I truly love him. Because I do. The past and everything I went through does not define who I am. What does matter is who I am now and what I do.

I sit alone in Dylan's room. Thinking about Thomas,thinking about the song he wrote for me,about all our memories.
"Hey," I see Dylan and he sits beside me "I'm sorry about your friend,"
"It's okay," I say.
"I actually spoke to Thomas yesterday," he suddenly blurts out "He told me about what you tried to to. On that bridge,"
I just stay still.
"Emma. Why didn't you tell me?"
"Do you hate me?"
"What? No. Of course not! It actually makes complete sense,"
"What do you mean?"
"Why do you think you were in the dark?"
"I don't know,"
"Well I do. You know when you go into a garden,full of different flowers. Always the prettiest ones are picked first,"
"I don't know if I would say it like that,"
"I would. If you want to stay up here that's okay. I can stay if you want. Or would you rather me go?"
"Stay,"

*Dream*

I walk along with Brenda,we're about to cross the road when I bus races out from no where and hits her. I scream out. She looks dead and blood is all over her. My heart is racing as people push me away and load her into an ambulance, but I keep screaming her name. Tears roiling down my face. This isn't fair.

I then see Thomas,in a twisted room. He sits there against in the corner crying. I run to him but a great force shoves me back as a man delivers a bullet into his brain.
"TOM!" I scream but it's over, I hear a bang and he lies there dead on the floor.

*Dream over*

I wake up screaming. Screaming the names of Brenda and Thomas as Dylan holds me tight against him but I keep crying. I see Will crash into the room. Alex screaming his lungs out downstairs.
"Get Brenda!" Dylan says.
Will comes back a second or so later with her. She comes to me,Dylan doesn't let go but she just smiles.
"It's okay Em,"
"No it's not! It's all gone. It's my fault!"
She just smiles again "No it isn't," she turns to Dylan "Come on,she needs some warm tee,"

Dylan carries me downstairs and they sit me down on the table. I'm still shaking. Brenda starts on the drinks for everyone,helped by Will whilst Alex and Dylan stay beside me. But I can't stop thinking about Thomas,what happens if something happens to him. It could. It could. I don't say anything just sit there.
"What did I do in your dream Em?" Brenda asks.
"Don't ask her!" Will snaps "Don't put it back into her head,"
"I can if I want!"
"Shut up!"

They start arguing at this point, Will and Brenda. With Alex partially standing up for Will and also trying to brake it up. I crash my hands over my ears and start crying as Dylan starts shouting at them all. But I can't see anything, everything seems out of place. They don't see me as they're too wrapped up in there own stuff but I head over to the kitchen draw and find a knife, it's pretty small,about as big as my head but it'll do. I just stand there,as I jab the knife into my chest.

I scream out in pain as the others surround me. I collapse to the ground as the words circle around me.
"No. No!"

"Oh Emma!"

"Emma I'm here!"

"I'm sorry!"

"Emma! Please!"

These are all I hear until my eyes close.
-
Brenda is such a bae in this💕

Sorry if I broke your heart💔

Vote and comment⭐️