Prologue

“I told you to stay the hell away from her!” Rosie bellows, swinging her arm in my direction.

Sirens were blaring outside of the house. The door was wide open, allowing the paramedics to rush in and get straight to work. I was still in too much shock to process the wild swings Rosie took at me. She pushed and shoved until I reached a point where I was stepping outside onto the front porch. Still screaming, Rosie takes another swing at me, aiming for my face. Just as quickly as she moves, I grab her forearm before she makes contact with me.

“You were trying to kill her, weren’t you?!” Rosie screams, snatching her arm away from me. Her eyes were the true definition of the color red. “What else did you do to her, huh? Rape her?”

“What?” I finally say in sheer disbelief. “What the fuck are you trying to say?”

“Don’t be so naive, Jason.” Rosie glares at me, turning back to look into the house.

Inside was a clear view of Lea’s body lying on the floor. Unconscious, yet hopefully still very much alive. Her body is lifted slightly and placed gently onto a gurney. At that very moment, Rosie turns her head to face me again, rage filling her bones.

“I will not have you going anywhere near Lea again.” She states, pointing her finger at me angrily.

I go to protest but she waves her hand in my face and walks off the porch. The entire house was surrounded, polices cars and ambulances took up most of the view from where I stood. Neighbors were gathering around to take a look at the scene, gasping and whispering to one another while pointing fingers in all directions.

“Take him in.” A voice pulls me back to reality.

I look up ahead of me and see two police officers stalking my way. My heart jolts against my chest in misunderstanding. They step closer and closer to me and normally I’d make a run for it but where exactly could I run off too? All the routes I could take were blocked off by either police officers or bystanders. I take a few steps back, glancing inside the house.

“Get down on your knees and put your hands behind your head.” The officer says once, stopping in his tracks while placing his right hand on his hip just above his revolver.

“What the fuck is going on?” I say to him and my eyes linger just a few inches to the left of his face to where I can see Rosie crying to the Generals about the commotion taking place.

“You’re under arrest for attempted homicide. Now I’m going to say this one more time, get on your knees and put your hands behind your head. Don’t make this harder than it needs to be.” He replies in a voice full of nothing but authority.

I shake my head, “What? Homicide? Are you fucking kidding me? I’m the one who called the fucking police!”

“Take him down.” The officer who seemed to do all the talking speaks again.

Without a chance to plead my case, I’m forced to the ground, landing on my hands and knees. Then a few seconds later, my wrists are pulled roughly together behind my back.

“Get the hell off of me!” I yell, kicking out a leg behind me. “I’m fucking innocent!”

Straining, I try to snatch my arms free but fail when the main officer in front of me pulls out his gun and aims it in my direction. Threatening to shoot if I happen to break free.

I hear the handcuffs snap onto my wrists and thats when I realize there’s no use in escaping this anymore. After the handcuffs are secured around my wrists, I feel hands patting my legs up to my pockets. As the search through my pants continues, the officer in front of me goes over the Miranda rights. Fingers slip into my pocket and pull out whatever happened to be inside and I watch as the small ziplock bag is tossed in front of me.

“Cocaine?” He asks his partner examining the bag briefly, “Fresh batch too. This kid must be selling.”

My eyes never tear away from the sight of the bag in his hands, watching the white substance slide from one end of the bag to the other. I’m pushed to walk and follow the lead of the officer before me but the entire time I can’t seem to comprehend anything that was happening. I stumble but catch myself quickly. Then I stare off into the back of the ambulance where Lea was placed in with a bunch of paramedics surrounding her and checking for a pulse or something to single that she was still breathing. I stare at her face just before the doors slam shut and the car is speeding off to the nearest hospital.

Then I’m shoved into the back of police car and the door slams shut beside my legs. Beside the window stood Rosie who was still crying her eyes out and begging to have me put away for the ‘attempt of murder’. I blink and look out the car window, staring in the house and watching detectives scan the floors for clues to what exactly happened and whether or not I’m actually guilty.

“I told him to stay away from her,” Rosie was sobbing just outside the window and it was taking everything in me to remain silent. “Ever since she’s met him she’s been sneaking out and doing drugs and it’s just gotten out of hand!”

“Does that kid have a reputation with these kind of drugs?” She’s questioned and I hear the same ziplock bag being shaken a few times.

“Yes!” She replies without hesitation. “I was told he runs an underground business where he distributes it...”

“That’s all we need to know for now. Don’t worry, we’ll make sure he’s put away for a long time.” The officer assures her.

I stare at the back of the car seat, eyes blinking lifelessly. Instead of worrying about myself, I sit back and shut my eyes for a moment. The only thing I allow myself to think about is Lea and when I’ll get to see her again. Nothing else mattered.

I just hope she’s ok....