Six

Lea’s POV --

School was a real drag but I relied on it. It was a real pain in the ass, however I still looked forward to it. Anything beats staying at home for more than six hours at a time. Anything surpasses the mere thought of having to remain in a house where nothing but arguments and violence take place.

After yesterday, my mind was nothing but chaos. My mind kept finding ways to bring me back to all the moments I remembered most. So I guess you could say I was replaying everything, from beginning to end. It was fun to go over but also quite embarrassing. My shyness was something that no matter how hard I work on it, it’ll never be any better. It’s just a permanent part of my personality.

In class, I wasn’t paying much attention to the lesson. I found myself spacing out every so often. My eyes peered down at my notebook, hand pretending to jot down notes. People were sleeping while others whispered to one another. I was eager to see Kira today, just so I could tell her everything that went on. I mean, I could have yesterday but after my shower I went straight to bed.

There’s just something about a nice hot shower that sends me off into a dreamy state before I even hit the sheets.

Running my hand through my hair, I lean back in my seat and exhale. It was much louder than usual which not only disrupted the class but disrupted my own train of thought. I was stretching back when I felt the eyes of almost everyone in my class, glaring in my direction. I look around at the many faces and feel all the blood draining from my face. Ever so slowly, I move my eyes to meet the gaze of the Algebra teacher, Mr. Lopez. His eyes bore into mine until I drew enough strength to turn my attention towards the door.

Right on cue, stepped foot into the room, adjusting her backpack over her shoulder. All the eyes that were once causing my blood to rush, were now focused on the sight of Kira. She awkwardly shuffles to the center of the class, where I was seated with an open desk beside me. I always found a way to keep a desk or seat open for her, considering we only have three classes together out of our entire schedule.

“As I was saying,” Mr. Lopez, states with a bitter tone dripping. “Next week, will be your midterm exam. It’ll be covering all the basics from the past sections we’ve gone over. For now, I want you all to partner up and-”

My mind seemed to only cooperate when the timing was curved in my favor. Today couldn’t have been a more perfect day to work in pairs, well for me that is. I literally blocked out everything else that poured out of Mr. Lopez’s mouth because I was so overwhelmed with happiness suddenly. I turn to look at Kira who was seemingly just as eager to spill some information to me as I was to her.

“I texted you.” She whispers, pressing her lips together afterwards to give the lip gloss she was wearing more definition.

I nodded, glancing over at Mr. Lopez to make sure he wasn’t eyeing me, “I know but I fell asleep in the middle of replying.”

She laughs, shoulders bouncing in delight at my cuteness. Once we were instructed to begin our studying in pairs, Kira and I wasted no time heading for the back of the class. Books were slamming onto desks, people began chattering in a pitch loud enough to overpower all the talking that I expected to endure in the next couple of seconds. Kira grabbed a text book off of the shelves beside the table we planted our belongings onto.