One

Lea’s POV --

Two more minutes.

Just two more minutes in this damn classroom. That doesn’t seem like a long time from now but as Mrs. Lyons continues dragging on her lecture I felt as if I were stuck in here for twenty years.

The only good thing about coming to school, in my opinion, is the opportunity to get out of the house for a good seven hours. Get some fresh air and clear my thoughts.

My hand was moving, instructing the pencil to doodle endlessly on the slip of paper beneath my wrist. My other hand was cupped below my cheek, keeping my face from smacking into the desk from the countless times I’ve been dozing off. I look at the doodles, nothing but circles, drawn over and over again until the image looked like a cloud of smoke starting from the center of the paper and growing up to the margin.

“Your projects will be due the following week from now; by the end of class.” Mrs. Lyons was saying, but my mind wasn’t really focusing too much on the rest of her reminders.

I blink and look at my forearm briefly, subconsciously moving the hand, which was under my cheek, over the hoodie I wore and also over my forearm as well. The bell rings, causing a small jolt to seize my chest. I sigh in relief and stand up, following the lead of everyone else who was stuffing their book bags and rushing out the classroom door.

Getting to my locker was the worst part about attending Seven Lakes high school. It wasn’t very large so the hallways were a constant chaos from the moment the first period bell rang all the way to dismissal. You had to go through a session of pushing, shoving, maybe some unintentional actions of stepping on someone’s shoe or having them step on yours.  I mainly keep to myself, I was pretty average at this school. I had a decent amount of friends, not close ones but ones that I could easily strike up a conversation with so I wasn’t considered a loner. I had average grades, nothing to rank me up to the Geeks or low enough to categorize me as a slacker. I wasn’t bullied nor teased; I was just another teenager who couldn’t wait to get the hell out of class the moment she walked in.

At my locker, I spin the dial of my combination and open it. From there I begin swapping books into my backpack and grabbing the leather coat I should have taken home last week.

I shut my locker and standing behind it, filing her nails, was Kira. “My place?” She says, eyes inspecting her nails mesmerizingly.

I shrug, turning to walk towards the exit of the building. “I would if my dad weren’t picking me up.”

“Ugh seriously? He rarely ever does that, why today?” She asks, seemingly annoyed but her facial expression remained bleak.

I shrug again, adjusting my bag over my shoulder comfortably. “They have to go somewhere and I’m just tagging along to get out of walking home for once.”