Three

Lea’s POV --

I was still too hung up over yesterday to even focus on the text we were reading in English Literature class this afternoon. We were being instructed to read ‘Bodega Dreams’ and if we didn’t get up to chapter five by the end of class then it was to be our homework for the night. I stared at the words on the page, seeing them but not fully seeing them at the same time.

Kira was late to class, as usual but she’d be arriving soon and hopefully soon enough before the bell rang so I could do something else besides pretend to read this book.

I rest my elbow over the desk and my hand on my cheek, adjusting the book in front of my face as I continued skimming through the first page for the fiftieth time.

The door opens and everyone looks up to see who would be receiving a lecture on being fifteen minutes late to class. It was no surprise that the person walking into class, with an angelic smile painted across her face, was Kira. I sit up and close my book, shaking my head as Kira walked over to the teacher’s desk and handed him a note. Normally he’d begin a rampage about the importance of coming to class on time, but I guess he wasn’t in one of those moods today. Infact, no one was really in a good mood today.

Everyone turns their heads to either begin talking to their neighbor or continue reading or texting. Kira makes her way to the back of the classroom where I was seated and a chair was pulled back reserved just for her. She sits beside me, tossing her hair over her shoulder and places her bag on her lap to begin a search for her phone.

“Missed the bus?” I ask her once she pulls her phone out of her bag.

“As usual.” She laughs shortly and then looks at me, “Oh shit.”

I raise my eyebrows, “What?”

“I have to tell you something.” She begins to smile again, “But I don’t want to say it now, I’ll tell you later.”

“What is it about?” I ask her, feeling unsure of the topic we were heading towards.

“I’ll tell you later.” She urges, touching my arm softly. “So where did your parents take you?”

“Ugh,” I roll my eyes and slide down against my seat, “It’s a long story.”

“I have all day.” She teases, searching in her bag once again.

“Well, I’ll tell you later.” I tease as well and flash a quick smile, “Do you want to come over after school?”

Now she was fixing up her makeup, “Sure.”

“Alright.” I nod and grab for my book since Mr. Aaron was giving us death stares from his desk.