Fourteen

Lea’s POV --

I was so overwhelmed.

It seemed as though all my teachers were aware of the sudden action that’s been displaying in my life. With that knowledge they’ve decided to rain on the enjoyment in the form of tests, quizzes, homework assignments and projects. On top of that, the due dates set for each new paper seemed a little too close for comfort. They weren’t but five days away for each. That wasn’t nearly enough time, especially for someone who has way more things to worry about at home. How am I supposed to study over the loud bickering between my parents and the objects being thrown, the glass shattering and the cursing? I could blare it out with some of my favorite music but my parents weren’t fond of that idea.

I was sitting in World History and Mrs. Davis was handing out our projects. The only thing good that came with this project was the permission to choose a partner and to add on to that they could be from any class of the same grade. Kira wasn’t in my class so it would’ve been dreadful to have had to partner up with someone else. I don’t know why but since I’ve never spoken to these people, only on occasions where it’s necessary, I get a sense that they don’t like me very much.

The project was due in five days. A research paper was required and we’d have to incorporate a presentation, of our choice, to explain what we’ve learned so far this unit. To be quite honest, I had no idea what unit we were on and it scared me. Kira wasn’t one to pay attention either meaning I’d have to start staying after school to get myself back on track. However, my parents wouldn’t allow that until they received a call from my teacher and I wasn’t up for them having a discussion. I feared that they’d get too deep and save each other’s number, that way whenever my parents are curious they can give Mrs. Davis a call. Or if I decided to cut this class she’d have my mother on speed dial. It’s probably just an over analyzation but my mom is the type to question everything and anything I do.

Everyone was searching for a partner right now. Desks were grinding against the ground and creating unearthly sounds that tortured my eardrums. Chairs were lifted to be moved around and desks were pushed next to each other. I grab my belongings and move myself to the far back where a single chair was placed behind a table. Majority of my classmates were partnered up except for a few, maybe 4, who either wanted to remain alone or had a friend in mind from a different class. Mrs. Davis began to mark down those who were already seated beside their partners and she questioned the rest of us.

“Lea who do you plan on working with?” Her back was to me and she was searching for the pen to her Smart Board.

“Kira Deschanel.” I had to raise my voice a bit so she’d hear me perfectly and I wouldn’t have to repeat myself.

A couple eyes turn to look at me. I made no effort to look at anyone, instead, I sank into the chair and rummaged in my backpack. My phone was off since it was in the process of dying and I wanted to save as much battery as possible for the time being.

“Alright, we’ll continue with project tomorrow.” Mrs. Davis shoves the pen into her breast pocket and turns to face the class. “Go ahead and take out your homework assignments that were passed out on Monday.”