Twenty-Five

Lea’s POV --

I look into my dressers and poke my chin skeptically.

For the past hour I’ve been looking over possible outfits to wear as I leave the house and when I return. Tonight I’d be over Kira’s place since we haven’t done anything together in a while. It actually baffled me that she was willing to cut off a night with Brody to have me in her presence instead. I expected tonight to be full of laughter and enjoyment. Long talks about boys, mainly about boyfriends of course. I was a little too over excited to be able to call Jason my boyfriend. It’s been awhile since I’ve dated anyone and Liam was my first boyfriend, so technically I never had a real boyfriend. I don’t consider Liam a knight in shining armor for obvious reasons. Jason was more of a dark knight anyway, so mysterious and carefree. My complete polar opposite.

I clawed at shirts and shorts, looking over them briefly and then tossing them into a pile on top of my bed. My mother was blasting music downstairs while she cooked herself something to eat. My father had grown bored of not working, so he ended his vacation and hit the road. I don’t blame him, this house has nothing to offer and I know he hates the thought of spending gas to find pleasure.

My phone begins buzzing from within the clutter of clothing. I fling what remained in my hands to the right and stuff my hands into the mess. Clothes began toppling to the ground and I groaned, dreading the thought of having to pick everything up eventually. At last, I found my phone and came to realize it was Lana giving me a call. Perplexity constrained my entire facial expression as I answered the call. I sit with my legs straightened out over the bed, my ankles barely hanging off, and my arms holding me up by clutching the opposite edge of the bed.

“Hey Lana.” I finally say, eyes skimming over to what I considered to be the ‘cute clothes’ pile.

“Hey love, what are you doing?” She sounded as if she were as frustrated as I was right about now.

“Picking out clothes.” I scoot forward until I can stand up properly.

Placing the phone comfortably between my ear and shoulder, I stare into the cute clothes pile and place my hands on my hips. Lana began talking and telling me about her day. How working wasn’t as great as she thought it’d be but the bright side consisted of finally having her own money. As she speaks, I multitask between listening and giving small responses like ‘yeah’ or ‘wow’ and folding clothes. I decided to toss in a skirt I bought awhile ago that I never thought to wear. It was long, reaching to the ground, exotically designed, and I had the perfect top to match with. I sighed in relief, stuffing underwear and bras into the duffle bag. Now that clothes was no longer my biggest concern, I engaged in folding the unwanted things and replacing them back into the dressers.

“You should come over, I’m so bored.” Lana says after finishing her novel length story.

“I can’t today, I’m staying over Kira’s house.” I shut the drawers and grab some perfume, deodorant and a towel to shove into my bag as well.

“Ugh fine.” She cooed happily. “I’ll just go bother Ace.”