Fourty-Five

Lea’s POV --

Mornings were never something I looked forward too. They often consist of knowing that you’ll be off to school--and who really would look forward to that--or maybe being forced to do chores, early in the day. I’ve only ever enjoyed my mornings on the weekends, just like your average teenager.

Nonetheless, my mind was in a beautiful place and this made me eager to see the daylight. I’ve been up since about six or seven and right now it would be closing in on eleven. Lana wasn’t home, I suspect that she spent the night with Ace and I most certainly have no problem with that. She’d probably tell me to get back into my room and get more sleep if she knew how early I had awoken. Jasper, on the other hand, befell fond of the fact that he finally had a companion to accompany him on his early adventures. After feeding him and refilling his bowl with fresh water, I made a mental note to also give him a bath, later on in the day.

For a while, I sat in the kitchen and the only noises of which blessed my ears were birds chirping, children laughing all along the neighborhood, and of course Jasper enjoying every bite of his delicious meal. I was hungry as well but couldn’t bring myself to stand up and prepare a well-cooked meal. Mainly because at this point, I was still in a daze from last night’s events with none other than, Jason himself.

It wasn’t just Jason, although he definitely takes the cake for having the greatest impact on me, it was also the scenery and the timing of everything. How were we so lucky to find such a gorgeous place just minutes prior to the sun setting, giving us the most magnificent view of Miami? How did Jason know exactly what to say to have these butterflies remain fluttering within my stomach all night? Maybe he didn’t know what he was saying, I don’t think either of us ever know what to say to one another, especially in the midst of making eye contact. All the same, he always held me speechless, even when he’s dumbfounded in his own words.

“You know Jasper, I think Lana and I should get another dog.” I speak and of course there’s no possible way for him to understand me. “A girl of course and then you’ll have a love of your own. Do you like that idea?” I stand up now and amble towards the refrigerator where I inspect the inside thoroughly before deciding that pancakes sounded just about right for the time being.

Jasper proved that my words meant nothing to him, although he was staring at me from the moment I said his name to the minute I strolled over to the fridge. Still, he licked his button nose and scuttled his way out of the kitchen, towards the entrance and of course I expected the mailman to be dropping off a letter or two and thus, cause Jasper to do his daily barking.

“I’ll just take that as a yes.” I waved a hand dismissively and finally grab the gallon of milk out of the fridge to place over the counter.

From the front door I hear minor chattering, nothing I can make out clearly. It sounded of a mere exchange of words and then I hear keys rattling momentarily. Following all of this minor commotion, the doorknob shakes and finally the door opens and Jasper must be battling to run around freely for just a few minutes because I overheard his growls.

“I swear, one day you’re going to run out and probably run away while you’re at it.” Lana says and wins the battle by shutting the door and locking it.