5

Dianna's POV

"Dianna." my dad said softly as he walked into my room.

"Mmmm?" I groaned, trying to go back to sleep.

"You have a visitor."

"Who?"

"Ned."

What's Ned doing here? He never stops by. This must be something serious. My instant thought was, "is Peter okay?"

"Give me 15 minutes." I sighed.

Once I freshened up, I walked out to the living room, watching Ned and my father talk science.

"I'll let you kids be now." my dad smiled as he walked back to his lab.

"Hey, Ned." I said, skeptically.

"Hey." he smiled.

"Any particular reason for such an early visit?" I asked.

"Dianna, it's one in the afternoon."

"Early for the weekend." I shrugged.

"I was asked by someone to come check on you and make sure you were okay."

"Why didn't said person come himself?"

"He thought you wouldn't want to talk to him."

"I see." I played with my fingers, "Nice of him to ask you to check on me, but as I told him, I'm fine."

"He knew you weren't fine last night."

That's because he always knows when I'm not fine. He can read me like a book. Even before he was Spider-Man, he was able to read me. He was the first person to really see me. I wasn't just that girl that was associated with the quarterback of the football team, he really saw me. I felt visible for the first time in a long time.

"Look, I know that this is all still fresh for both of you, but not talking about things are just gonna make you more upset than you already are." he tried.

"I don't know, Ned. Things are weird right now. Sure it was a mutual decision and not an ugly breakup, but it still hurts." I plopped onto the couch, "being there with him last night felt really tense. It was uncomfortable. Being around Peter used to feel like I was at home. We're in a gray area right now. There's nothing good nor bad happening. We kind of just coexist."

"Maybe if you two sit down over some snacks and work things out, everything will be fine." he sat beside me.

I know that if I sit down and try to work things out with him, I'm gonna want to give into my urge to get back together with him. I don't need to be in a relationship right now. We're still trying to work on our own flaws that played a part in causing us to drift away from each other.

flashback

"We have had the same argument multiple times, Peter. I don't care that he's the popular guy at school that almost everyone drools over. I don't want him, I want you." I said in a frustrated tone, "There is no one else that I would rather have. You're someone with the most purest heart and I know you would do anything you could to protect the ones that you love. Not just because you're a literal superhero, but because you have a big heart. Why can't you trust me on this? I've told you so many times, over and over again, that I want nothing romantic with Nick."

"Because you're the 'it' girl at school. Almost everyone drools over you too. You and Nick are everyone's 'ship'. They want to see you two happen. They don't want to see you and I. Nick is this popular jock who gets worshipped as he walks down these halls. I'm just a nerd who saves people in a onesie behind a mask. There are people waiting in line to date you."

I sighed, "Don't you get it? No matter how long that 'line' is, no matter how handsome or popular he is, when it comes to you, I'm always gonna be that moon-eyed girl that chose you because you're worth my time more than anyone else outside of my family." I started crying, "you are one of the few people in my life, in that school, that sees me as Dianna and not the popular ex-cheerleader who's best friends with Nick. But I can't do this anymore." I paused, "at least not now."

"You're right. With all this constant fighting, I don't think I can do this anymore either." he said.

"So this is it huh?" I wiped my tears, "this is where it all ends."

"Just until we can figure things out on our own." he grabbed my face and kissed me, "I love you."

"I love you, too."

present day

Three years. In our three years of being together, that argument hit the hardest. They always say that if you love something, let it go. If it comes back, it was meant to be. Maybe Peter and I will come back together eventually, but now's not the time.

"I don't even think we could be friends. If I talk to him, all the feelings and memories will all come flooding back and it'll be too overwhelming for me."

"D, just talk to him. Talking to him will be a start. If things go bad then you can blame me for trying to help you guys at least be friends."

I smiled, "let me guess, if things go well, I can thank you in the long run."

"Bingo."

"We'll see. But thank you for coming to check on me." I stood up, "even if it was just because Peter asked you to."

He hugged me, "of course."

I walked him to the door, "see you later, Ned."

"Bye, Dianna." he waved.

I shut the door and pressed my head against it.

"You gonna talk to him?" my dad peeped out of his lab.

"How long have you been standing there?"

"Long enough."

I turned to him, "I don't know what to do."

"Maybe Ned's right. Maybe you should talk to him and see how things go."

"I know you're going to plan something out to get us into the same room together so that I can squash any beef with Peter because you pretty much heard everything when we were arguing about the day we broke up."

"That was a lot of arguing." he tossed me my phone, "Call him."

"Fine."

I called Peter and my chest was pounding. It felt like my heart was going to beat out of my chest. I was getting anxious. What if he doesn't pick up the phone? I mean he probably will considering he asked Ned to come over to check on me. All the possibilities are popping into my head.

"Hey." he answered.

I froze. I didn't know what to do or what to say so I hung up.

"Dianna, what the hell was that?" my dad stared at me.

"I panicked."

"Well, just to get your mind off of Peter, I tracked the I.P. address of the person who got into the files yesterday, and you're not going to believe who it led back to." I gave him a confused look, "Skylar."

"What?"