10

Peter's POV

"What do you mean? Does Skylar have access to high technology?"

"Her dad owns most of the tech businesses in this city. If anyone was able to break through the suit and get passed all the firewalls, it's probably them."

"Do you think Skylar played a part in this?"

"I don't know." she said quietly, "I went to see Nick today and he said she's been acting strange. The other day, someone tried to get their hands on some private files we have on all the supers. The I.P. address of the hacker led back to her. We told everyone to be extra careful until we have this all figured out."

"You didn't tell me."

"We sent out a boost signal."

"I didn't get it..." I said, "anyway, what are you going to do if she is behind all of this? Because right now, it seems like she is."

"She wouldn't do this."

"You've only known Skylar for two years. How do you know that she isn't capable of this?"

"She isn't okay?" she yelled, "I'm sorry. I just... with all the people that I've lost, I can't handle losing anyone else." her voice trembled.

Dianna's POV

I don't want to believe that Skylar's behind this. I can't call her out without exposing Peter.

"So what do we do?" he asked me.

"Leave the suit here and let me work on the programs."

"Let me stay and help you."

"I can do this alone."

"How come it is that every time someone tries to help you, you build these walls and you refuse to let anyone in? You know me. We dated for three years. Never in a million years, never in a million lifetimes, would I dare hurt you in any way, shape, or form. It breaks me to watch you feel like you're alone in things like this. You lost your mentor and so did I. I lost the third father figure I will ever have. You're not the only person here that lost Tony. You're not the only person that's lost a parent. You're not the only person that has faced these struggles." he balled his fists. "I know what really happened to your mom. You lied to me about that. I had to find out earlier today through your dad." he said with a hurt tone.

"No one forced you to find out what really happened to her."

"That doesn't change the fact that you lied."

I scoffed, "you can't stand there and act like you didn't hide things from me either."

"Like what?"

"Like the fact that you and MJ had a thing throughout that Europe trip. I know that you two shared a smooch." I started crying, "don't stand there and play victim with me because I know. She found out that you were Spider-Man and you got her a necklace that broke while you were fighting Mysterio. I know you gave E.D.I.T.H. to Quentin and he almost killed you. I know you were run over by a train. I know about all of it, Peter. I trusted you enough to tell me, but you never did." my voice cracked, "me not telling you about how my mom really died isn't that big of a deal because at least you knew she was dead. You cheated and never came clean about it."

He stood there in complete shock.

"You made me feel loved. You made me feel seen. I wasn't just the daughter of Bruce Banner, I wasn't Tony Stark's protegé, I wasn't Nick's best friend, I was Dianna Banner. I felt visible. You made me feel like I was a trophy on a pedestal, just for you to drop me like I was nothing, as if I meant nothing." I stood there quietly, "that's why I shut people out. Because no matter how many times they manage to convince me that they're never going to hurt me or betray me, they always prove me wrong. The damage has been done. I'm just trying to protect myself." I walked into my dad's lab.

"Dianna." Peter called me before he groaned and flopped onto the couch. I slammed the door and cried.

Even when we were dating, I never really let Peter in. He knew that. There was always a boundary that I never let anyone cross, not even Nick. The only person that was patient enough with me and helped me take down those walls was my dad. But after Peter and I broke up, those walls started being built again. I was tired and scared of being hurt for the nth time. I needed something to protect myself from it all. It doesn't mean that I didn't trust people, I did, just not to the extent that they wish I did.

Now knowing that Skylar's dad's company played some sort of role in hacking Peter's suit, I didn't know who I was able to trust anymore. The only person I'm sure I can trust is my dad.

"Access denied." I heard our lab program say. I didn't realize that I fell asleep for about... two hours.

"Dianna." Peter knocked on the door.

I groaned and went to open the door, "what do you want?"

"I wanted to make sure you were okay."

"Those words have no meaning behind them. Here's your suit." I handed it to him, "It's done being upgraded. You have a better system in there now. The suit's abilities have also been enhanced to protect you from getting banged up like you were when you showed up. I'll keep working on figuring out how to get my hands on the software that Skylar's using to hack into your suit and what her plan is once she gets everything that she needs for whatever she's doing and we can go from there." I said while keeping my eyes focused on the suit to avoid eye contact.

"Dianna–"

"The exit to my house will be to the right of the kitchen. Feel free to grab a water bottle on your way out."

"I still love you." he said, barely above a whisper.

"I was a fool to believe in love in the first place."