22

Peter's POV

"What do you mean there's more? How did you get to work so quick?"

"Nick Fury stopped by and gave me this talk and I've been working my ass off for the past... three hours now."

"What'd you find?"

"Her suit is kind of like Thor's hammer... except in a suit. Not only can it absorb lightning, but it can also deflect it elsewhere."

"What's she going to do with it?"

"Well, first, she wants to test it out by terrorizing this big building to see if it works. I'll give you the location on which company it is so you can go–"

"Actually, I was thinking you go."

The line went silent, "wait what?"

"You were right. She's already got a target on me so I'd just be putting myself in more danger if I go out on the field right now."

"Did Fury say something to you?" she asked.

"No."

"Why the sudden change of heart?"

"There's no one else that I'd rather have out there, covering for me, than you. I guess since she wants to check Spider-Man off of her hit list first, I should lay low."

"Oh uh... okay. Thanks."

"And as far as me accusing you of trying to steal my job, I'm sorry."

"It's okay. I get it. You're used to being the one that saves people."

"Just promise me you'll be safe out there."

"Always."

Dianna's POV

"If you're right about this, Skylar's gonna make her way to the basement and break into the building's control circuit to release all the electricity."

I was nervous. Sure I've snuck into her room and fought her at school, but it's still nerve wracking nonetheless.

"Listen to me. We're going to get her. She's going to surrender and forget about the whole Spider-Man thing. I will be on comms guiding you through all of of this."

"What if it doesn't work? What if I give in to my defense mechanism? I don't want to hurt anyone."

"You've never doubted yourself before, don't start now." he hugged me, "time for you to get going."

"Everyone evacuate the building now." I ran in. I told the security guards to do a sweep of every floor necessary to get every person in this building out before things escalate.

"Skylar's in the boiler room." my dad said.

I went downstairs to the boiler room and saw Skylar putting wires together.

"You know, I thought a person who was looking for electricity to get a jump start on her suit would be more subtle with her moves." I said.

"What are you going to do? Stop me?"

"If that's what it takes."

That's when the action began. We were throwing punches left and right, kicking each other, it was a wholeass fight scene. I am: thriving. Before I knew it, she was blasting electric energy into my suit. I earthbent the wall and hit her from behind, "give up now while you still can."

She laughed, "you think you're going to stop me, Dianna? I'd know those fight moves since the last time we fought. Getting Spider-Man's identity is just the tip of the iceberg. Once I find out who he is, I will murder him. Then I'll come for everyone else. I'll be sure to leave you for last. But before I kill you, I'll kill your dad, very slowly."

I chucked rocks in her direction and she managed to dodge all of them. Dad said that things in this room were flammable so there was no way I could firebend and with all the electricity surrounding us, I can't exactly waterbend either.

"D, you need to get out of there now. The whole electric circuit is about to burst and there are still people in the building. If you don't turn the circuit off, the electricity is going to kill them. There's no way out if you don't get there in time."

"Then how do I get them out without having everyone be electrocuted?"

"With the help of your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man." Peter said.

"When did he get here?" I whisper-yelled.

"The comms were starting to glitch when you started fighting and I needed to be your eyes and ears so I called in a favor. Get to the backup generator before the power becomes too much for either one of you three to handle. Skylar will be able to withstand it better than you two because her suit was made to absorb energy."

"Thor taught me how to redirect lightning."

"But have you mastered it?"

"We'll just have to see."

"Dianna, there's nowhere to redirect the lightning to." Peter said.

"I don't think that's a gamble I'm willing to take right now, Dianna." my dad said simultaneously.

The building's power went out. The level of confusion that I radiated...

"What just happened?" I asked Skylar after earthbending her into a wall.

"The power was cut but not because of us. This is the window to get everyone out safely." my dad said.

This all seemed sketchy and before I knew it, this wave of energy hit me.

"You can't hold all of this electricity."

flashback

"Lightning is a pure expression of firebending, without aggression. It is not fueled by rage or emotion. The energy is both positive energy and negative energy. There is energy all around us. This creates an imbalance. The energy wants to restore balance and in a moment the positive and negative energy come crashing back together. You provide release and guidance, creating lightning." Thor said, in a very zen tone.

"I'm ready to try this, oh Wise One." I joked, "no? Okay."

He shook his head, "remember, once you separate the energy, you do not command it. You are simply its humble guide. Breathe first." I took a deep breath. "Good. If you let the energy in your own body flow, the lightning will follow it."

"Teaching her lightning huh?" Steve walked out.

He looked at Steve and nodded. "You have to create a pathway from your fingertips up your arm to your shoulder and down into your stomach. The stomach is the source of energy in your body. You direct it up again and out the other arm. The stomach detour is critical. You must not let the lightning pass through your heart or the damage could be deadly."

"God, okay."

"Ready?"

I nodded.

present day

"Is everyone out of the building yet?" I asked.

"Almost." Peter yelled.

"Dianna, you have to get out of there."

"Not until everyone's out." I said as the comms went silent. I redirected lightning at Skylar.

Peter's POV

"Everyone's out of the building." I said.

"You have to get down to the boiler room. That's where Dianna is. Her comms went off and I don't know what her condition is."

I made it down to the boiler room and Skylar was gone. I saw Dianna and turned off the generator.

"Dianna, we gotta get you out of here."

"Sky–Skylar." she groaned.

"She's gone." I told her.

After I said that, Dianna's eyes shut.

"Dr. Banner, I think Dianna's body is overwhelmed from the wave of lightning she's endured."

"Get her here as soon as you can."

"Where's 'here'?"

"There's a lake house right on Willow Lake."