6

Peter's POV

Dianna called me, didn't say a word, and hung up.

That night, I decided that I would stop by her house after patrolling to talk to her. I tapped on her window with our "secret code".

"Hey," she opened the window, "is everything okay?"

"I should be asking you the same question."

"Peter, I'm fine." she whined.

"Why'd you call me earlier?"

Her eyes widened, "butt dial." I wasn't buying this. "Everything is a-okay." I crossed my arms. "And you're not buying any of this... great." she stroked some hair behind her ear, "things are just wonky right now. Is that what you wanted to hear?"

"I'd rather hear that you're genuinely okay. I don't want you to say you're okay so that I leave."

"I'm just trying to figure some things out." she let me in.

"Like?"

"What do I want? For so long in our relationship, I depended on you for almost everything. I was so reliant on you that after we broke up, I felt lost. I think I still am. I want to be independent again and only rely on myself."

"It's okay to let people help you you know?" I put my mask on her bed.

"Yeah but I let you help me too much. There's this void in me that I have yet to find a way to fill and I don't know how to fill it either."

I sat next to her, "well if it helps, I feel like I haven't been on my a-game either. My head's always somewhere else. Preoccupied thinking about other things."

"Such as?"

"How we could've fought harder to make our relationship last. I mean if we would've just sat down and worked everything out, we could still be together today."

She sighed, "Pete, it was already the end of our relationship. Our apologies had no meaning behind them, we were only saying 'I'm sorry' to say it and get over the argument. It was beyond repair. There's nothing that we could've done to make it last. We were constantly arguing. I think we argued more than having a civilized conversation."

She was right. Days leading up to our breakup, we barely spoke. I guess we were already drifting apart.

"We tried being friends and that didn't work out for us." she said, "it's too hard being around you without remembering what we had and all the memories we made together. Both good and bad."

"That's why I walked away from the football game for a bit last night."

"I know." she said softly, "but just because we're broken up doesn't mean that I'm not here for you. You know that right?"

"Likewise."

"Considering not many people know you're Spider-Man, I know it might be hard for you to find someone to confide to. Well, you have Ned and Happy–"

"Sometimes they don't know how to calm me down the way that you do."

She smiled.

"You have too much on your plate already. I don't want to add to it."

She turned to me, "your mental health is the first thing I want on my plate. I don't care if we're not together. We were in a relationship for three years and I'm not going to throw that away. Some of the best moments of my life, thus far, has been made within that relationship. Memories that I hold so near and dear to my heart. We're not together anymore but that doesn't mean that I don't care about you. You've gone through a lot, I don't ever want you to feel like you're alone."

"I know." I sighed and stood up, "it's getting late."

Dianna cleared her throat, "yeah." She walked me out.

"Oh my mask." I turned around and bumped into her. We were standing dangerously close to each other. Without realizing it, I leaned down to kiss her.

She turned away, "I can't. I'm sorry." she walked out of her room.

I watched her walk away. I didn't even know what to say. I grabbed my mask and left.

Dianna's POV

Things are so messy right now. My best friend might be trying to do something bad to all my super friends, Peter tried to kiss me, I'm still coping with everyone that I've lost. I can't take this anymore.

I felt myself going into my default defensive state. This is my most powerful state, but it's also my most vulnerable state. If anything happens to me while I'm in this state, there's a 90% chance that I'm going to die. When in this state, my eyes glow, I float, and tend to black out and let my body take control.

"Dianna, whatever you're going through, whatever you're dealing with, it's going to be okay." Peter grabbed my wrist. I looked down at him, "I know you're upset. You have a lot going on in your life right now, but you're not alone. You may feel like you're alone in all of it, but you're not. You have me, you have your dad, you have the rest of the Avengers, you have people who love and care about you so much. We're all here for you. You mean too much to me for me to let you take on things alone."

It took me a minute but when I snapped out of it, I was lightheaded and emotional. That's the downside to exiting this state. Once I come back to reality, I feel limp. I can barely hold myself upright.

"I'm sorry." I cried in Peter's arms.

"It's okay. It's okay."