21

Peter's POV

The next day at school, I kept looking for Dianna to see if she was okay. She stopped answering my texts last night out of nowhere. Did she fall asleep again? Did she get kidnapped? I don't know why my mind always wanders to the worst possibilities but it does and I can't help it.

Once I saw her at her locker, I ran over and gave her a hug.

"Oh god. Okay. Hello to you too?" she said in a confused tone.

"I thought you got kidnapped or something."

"You know I am more than capable of taking care of myself." she winked and handed me a number.

"What's this?"

She whispered, "it's my burner phone. And seeing that it's a flip phone, I think it'll be easier for you to just call me."

"Why?"

"Skylar tried to hack into all of my dad's software last night after you left."

"What are you going to do now?"

She looked away, "we're gonna have to leave for a couple days."

"Come again?"

"We have a safe house. We're gonna go there for a couple days and work things out before going back to the house to find a way to stop her."

"Let me come with you."

"No."

"Why not? You just said 'we'."

"As in my dad and I." she stroked my cheek, "I'll be fine."

"Are you at least going to tell me where your safe house is?"

She stayed quiet.

"Does this have anything with you not trusting me?"

"I promise that isn't the case." she shut her locker, "I'll be back in a couple days." she kissed my cheek and walked away.

I caught up with her, "what am I supposed to do if something happens? I can't just lay low forever."

"Well, my dad and I will still be within vicinity of Queens, so if anything, just call me and I'll take care of it." she stopped.

"So you're just gonna take my position."

"Peter, you're in danger, more danger than me. Skylar's working day and night to get to us. You're the first person on her list that she wants to get rid of. I'm not trying to replace Spider-Man. I would never do that to you. When have I ever interfered with you being Spider-Man?" I stayed quiet, "after this is sorted out and Skylar's taken care of, I don't intend on being the city's superhero unless I absolutely have to."

"I'm having a hard time believing that. All you've done these past few days of us working together is sidelining me to being your guy in a chair."

"Okay, fine. I'm sorry that you've been feeling like I've been sidelining you these past couple days because it wasn't my intention. I'm sorry that I'm trying to protect you. But you know what? If anything bad happens, go out and be Spider-Man for all I care. And if anything goes wrong, I'm not going to hold back from saying 'I told you so'." she continued walking.

Dianna's POV

All we do is argue, constantly. Just when I think we're heading on the right track, we backtrack. It's not that I don't want him getting involved because this does involve him, and I didn't mean to make him feel like he wasn't being included in any of this. I just get super overprotective. I'm not going to let Tony down like this. I've already lost my mom, Tony, and Nat. I don't want to add him to the list.

Dad and I got to the safe house and unloaded some important things that will help me keep going with all of this.

"You've been working on all of this rather slow. I know you're not at your peak A-game." Nick Fury said.

"You're Nick Fury. Um... nice to formally meet you, sir."

"I know Stark left his legacy to you and Parker, I just don't know why you haven't owned up to it yet. Being able to bend the elements and all."

"I work better in the shadows." I sassed. I don't know the man all too well but I know he can get a little sarcastic at times.

"I don't know why you're taking your precious time on settling things with your friend if you know she's doing something wrong and dangerous to your ex-boyfriend, along with the rest of your friends."

"I guess it's because at one point, she was my actual friend and I don't want to hurt her."

"You're too passive. That's your problem."

"Didn't realize you were this straightforward."

"If you want to take care of this, you're going to have to let people in and work with them. Tony Stark didn't create a suit for you to let it collect dust."

"How'd you–"

"I'll let you get to work now. Prove to Stark that he left his legacy in the right hands."

"The 'right hands'? I'll admit, it's been an insanely slow progress, but I don't even think I know what I'm doing anymore. I keep trying all these codes and algorithms and all the stuff that both my dad and Tony have taught me and nothing is working. All it does is lead me to dead ends."

"You think Tony knew what he was doing when he started all of this?"

"He's genius so yes."

"We all start our journeys at our own pace. Just because you keep hitting dead ends doesn't mean that there is no solution."

Why the hell did Nick Fury come to talk to me? This is so random.

"Not to sound rude or anything but why exactly are you here?"

"Thought I'd formally introduce myself." he stood up, "but I'll let you get to work now. Seeing that you have a lot to get done."

I let out a deep breath. Alright, D. Let's get started.

Peter's POV

I don't know how I'm going to handle all of this while Dianna's away. Do I want to risk my identity being revealed to the entire world because I wanted to save the day?

"Peter." Dianna called me through her burner phone.

"Hey."

"There's more to what Skylar's doing."